Driving to Alaska

This is Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Toni McFadden

Driving to Alaska

Postby Holly406 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:24 pm

Where do I find current information about requirements/restrictions of driving through Canada from the L48 to get to Alaska for work? Are houseplants allowed? Side arm and ammo? Cooler full of food?

I've searched several different Canadian sites, but I haven't found information specific to transit of US citizens--just info for tourist entry.

Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:10 am

Re: Driving to Alaska

Postby Johncn » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:32 am


I am not an authority any of these topics, so take the following with a grain of salt, and check it out on your own to be sure. :shock:

These two official sources distinguish between the recently announced upcoming changes for non-essential travel for fully vaccinated Americans. There are still very specific restrictions in place for Americans transiting to Alaska for work.



Among the restrictions for Lower 48-to-Alaska travellers still in place are a testing requirement prior to arrival, letters from employer or other proof of work in Alaska, and a list of only five border crossing points that must be used. Transit for essential reasons (such as employment) is different than arrival for non-essential purposes such as tourism.

Driving to or from Alaska through Canada

You can’t transit through Canada by land for an optional reason, such as a vacation or leisure. When seeking entry to Canada, you will be subject to strict entry conditions and public health requirements. You will need to have proof that your entry into Canada is not optional, such as:

proof of residence or employment in Alaska if going north
proof of residence or employment in the lower 48 states if going south

You must provide proof of a valid test result to enter Canada.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/trave ... ansit-land




The common wisdom about houseplants through Canada is pretty much...no. You can't bring soil, and would require a "phytosanitary certificate", I believe. I am not certain, but that used to be what we told applicants that asked when I last worked for a district.

With guns, I would recommend checking with the ADF&G website for some basics:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?ad ... les_id=695

Non-restricted firearms include most ordinary hunting rifles and shotguns. These may be brought temporarily into Canada for sporting or hunting use during hunting season, use in competitions, in-transit movement through Canada, or personal protection against wildlife in remote areas of Canada. Anyone wishing to bring hunting rifles into Canada must be at least 18 years old; properly store the firearm for transport; and follow the declaration requirements....

Restricted firearms are primarily handguns. While they are not firearms, pepper spray, mace, and some knives also are included in this category. A restricted firearm may be brought into Canada, but an Authorization to Transport permit must be obtained in advance from a Provincial or Territorial Chief Firearms Officer. The permit allows a handgun to be in transit, for example to Alaska, but a permit would not be issued to someone simply vacationing in Canada.

Handguns are essentially not permitted to enter Canada. If your goal is to TRANSIT with guns to Alaska (more than for personal protection), you can just use a FFL (local Federal Firearms Licensee), such as a gun shop, to ship you gun to YOURSELF, but CARE OF another FFL in Alaska. You have to set this up with the receiving FFL, and there is usually a small fee to him or her for the trouble, but FFLs do this all the time. It's much simpler than the paperwork and fees for transporting long guns through Canada. If protection is the goal, then a long gun typically used for hunting can be transported, but Canada does have paperwork, rules and fees. Again, from Alaska Department of Fish and Game:

Declaring firearms involves filling out some paperwork, specifically Form 5589, the Non-Resident Firearm Declaration form. There is a $25 fee, payable in Canadian funds or with a credit card. The form is available at the border, or can be downloaded in advance from the Canadian Firearms Centre website (more details on that are offered at the end of the article). The form must be presented in triplicate and signed in front of a CBSA officer at the border (it is not possible to make photocopies at the border, so it will save time and effort to do some of the work in advance. Just be sure to wait until the border to sign in front of a customs officer).

More info here via an anecdotal source, but I'd check with ATF (US Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agency) for the latest on "unlicensed persons" (regular people without FFL license) shipping firearms.

https://www.van-tramp.com/wp/you-want-t ... to-alaska/


Hope this helps.


User avatar
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:05 am

Return to ATP Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests