How many years experience for salary schedule?

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

How many years experience for salary schedule?

Postby ShannonPrescott » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:06 am

Can someone clarify the following statement: Applicants can bring a maximum of 3 years’ experience.

The way I am reading it is when I am looking at the salary schedule, I am only allowed to consider my first 3 years. So I am a Master+ 45 + 8 years. But I would only fall on the Master+45+ 3 years?

Thank you.
ShannonPrescott

Re: How many years experience for salary schedule?

Postby Johncn » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:38 pm

Hello,

We would need to know the district and/or see the posting to have an opinion. You can send that info in an email to atp@teachers4schools if you don't want to post it here.

There are generally three things at play for placement on the salary schedule:

1) State Law (there are maximums for teachers new to Alaska in Alaska State Statutes)

2) Each district's contract with the teacher's union, called their "Negotiated Agreement". There are some districts on the road system that have in the past imposed an "artificaln maximum" number of years and/or steps for teachers new to their district and/or the state. These would be below the Alaska Statue maximum allowable.

3) Your qualifications as defined by "number of years in a certificate-required teaching or admin position" combined with "number of recognized credit hours"

Remember that districts, not the state, control final placement on the salary scale. At ATP, forum members could offer an educated GUESS, but you would not know for sure unless you were offered a position, and then clarified your likely placement with the HR officer you were dealing with yourself.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Return to ATP Forum