Suggested Interview Attire

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Suggested Interview Attire

Postby bhabs38 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:14 pm

I am attending the Anchorage job fair. I’ll be interviewing for principal positions. What do the school districts want to see applicants wearing? Do I wear my tailor made Italian cashmere suit or is this a khakis and pullover type dress code? I don’t want to over or under dress. Any suggestions out there?
bhabs38

Re: Suggested Interview Attire

Postby Johncn » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:28 pm

Hi,

I would plan on looking like a principal. Because you don't know who you are interviewing with, or what their workplace expectations are, I would err on the side of professional dress, but perhaps not a high end suit. The people you are interviewing with need to be able to see you in their mind's eye in their building, and working with their kids in a position of responsibility. I disagree with those who say you don't need to dress up because it's Alaska. You will be interviewing with superintendents and school board members. Let them know you take the interview, and the chance to work for them seriously. Dress up. Sure, they may not wear ties / suits / dresses in their schools on a daily basis. That is not relevant. Picking a new principal or admin is a special occasion, or should be...

As an administrative candidate for rural Alaska, I personally wore khakis / chinos with a tie, and blazer /sportscoat for most of my interviews. At work in the schools, however, I wore nice jeans, a dress shirt and a tie. When I worked in DO jobs, I work nice jeans and a collared dress shirt...except when we had staff meetings. I would put a tie on for those sometimes, but it depended on who the superintendent was that year. Sports coat / suit for graduations and school board meetings. When I do candidate interviews, I always wear a sports coat and a tie.

Hope this helps. Your mileage may vary.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Return to ATP Forum