Possible Family Assignments?

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Possible Family Assignments?

Postby Vbosworth » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:15 pm

My husband and I are both certified teachers with 4 school-aged children. We would like to work in the Bush, but are worried about the availability of family housing. We can occupy a 3 bedroom house at minimum. We both have administrative degrees as well, and are currently working in admin positions.
So, I guess my post has 2 questions...ability to obtain administrative positions and availability of family housing. Can anyone assist me? Thanks for taking the time to read my questions!
Vbosworth

Re: Possible Family Assignments?

Postby Johncn » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:03 am

So, I guess my post has 2 questions...ability to obtain administrative positions and availability of family housing.

Hello,

I'm sure others will pitch in, but the short answer is that because you and your husband are both dual certified (admin and teaching credentials), your chances for finding a good fit in a Bush district with a large family is better than for a typical teaching couple. You don't mention what your teaching subject certifications are in, but in general, a teaching couple with at least one Admin cert, and the ability for one spouse to teach, while the other is a principal or principal / teacher is ideal for some Bush villages. Housing will still be a challenge because 3-4 bedroom housing units are rare in rural Alaska districts. But, with your four children being school age, I'm pretty sure you will find a fit somewhere.

In fact, I worked for district(s) which - in certain years - would have done back flips to find housing for a family such as yours if you and your spouse could have covered a K-12 small school with 2-6 teachers. My wife and I were a similar family, and had complimentary subject area / grade level focus, but were somewhat easier to house with just two children.

I recommend that you eally research districts, use the Alaska EED Rolodex to get an idea of school size by community, and number of teachers, and start the communication early about your skills and your family. Be sure to keep it positive outreach, even if there isn't much coming back at first, and make it consistent, but not nagging as January and February approach. Make sure they always know you and your spouse's ATP Applitrack files are up to date, and include copies of your resumes in emails.

Hope this helps, I'm sure others will have opinions as well.

John
Johncn

Re: Possible Family Assignments?

Postby Vbosworth » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:37 pm

Thanks John for such an informative reply! I am K-6 and secondary math certified, while my husband is secondary English and SPED certified. Hopefully, these endorsements will allow us to find placements. If you hear of anything, we would love know about it.
Vbosworth

Return to ATP Forum