Almost no responses from schools/HR

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Almost no responses from schools/HR

Postby Aquinas0035 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:23 am

Hello,

I'm a certified math teacher who has been teaching internationally for 12 plus years. I am ready to teach back in the States now and Alaska has intrigued me, and I have applied to just about every math position in Alaska. At present, just 2 recruiters contacted me about 2 months ago and have never since then replied back. Honestly, I thought my inbox would be inundated with offers by now. I noticed that school starts this year on July 18th(I'm guessing the pandemic has caused the schools to start so early).

My question is have I started too late to apply, or is there some other reason for the near-total lack of interest from HR? Someone else mentioned to contact them directly, but I was planning on doing that July 6th when I am stateside and not in a totally different time zone.

Thank you!
Aquinas0035

Re: Almost no responses from schools/HR

Postby Johncn » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:33 pm

Hello,

Alaska is very independent-minded. There are over 50 different school districts, and some have very specific recruitment processes, while others wing each year with different approaches changing by the composition of the hiring team. You are not too late to find a Math position. International experience is highly valued, but you should make sure you have evidence of having completed an accredited pre-service teacher preparation program to appear a viable option to districts. If you have Praxis or other test scores, include those in your resume.

Above all, don't just check mark the positions you are interested in at this time of year and hope someone contacts you. Be assertive, but remain polite and reach out to districts. I would not wait until you are stateside. Hit the HR director, the admin assistants and the superintendents with emails and a cover letter highlighting your teaching experience, certification and international and cross-cultural experience. Call their office phone using a virtual calling system. If you are persistent, but remain professional, and have good references, I'm guessing you are going to get something. Just a feeling. This time of year, things happen FAST. You could go from zero to a Zoom interview to a contract in under 24 hours.

FYI - All districts start their "year" in July in Alaska. So, when teachers report is a thing that varies, but with a mandatory 14-day quarantine possible, districts may need staff to report earlier than usual. School usually starts the third week in August, but teachers typically have to to report first week or so in August. Subtract a quarantine period....and there you go. Mid-July not unreasonable. ;-)

Note: The current regs seem to call for all travelers to Alsaka to have a COVID-19 negative test result (and proof of such) received within 72-hours of arrival, and do a 14-quarantine quarantine. Not sure if that would be in city of arrival, but assume so. Likely Anchorage for most. I don't know if school districts have filed plans to augment / supplant these requirements, but worth asking an HR Director:

State of Alaska Travel Regulations - COVID-19 Requirements
https://covid19.alaska.gov/travelers/

All persons entering Alaska from another state or country must:

Complete a Traveler Declaration Form

Download Statewide Printable Form

and

Arrive with proof of a qualifying negative COVID-19 test.

or

Receive a COVID-19 test when you arrive in Alaska, and self-quarantine at your expense until results arrive.

or

Self-quarantine at your expense for either 14 days or the duration of your trip whichever is shorter.

or

Follow the work plan that your employer filed with the State of Alaska.

Good luck in your search.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Return to ATP Forum