Cars in Alaska - which one is best?

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Cars in Alaska - which one is best?

Postby tkinder07 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:42 pm

I know the climate in Alaska varies greatly from one area to the next. However, in general do most people drive AWD or 4WD vehicles?

I have a Kia Soul. If we move there next spring, should I try to trade it in on a Subaru or similar SUV before we get there? How do car prices compare to the lower 48?
tkinder07

Re: Cars in Alaska - which one is best?

Postby Johncn » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:18 am

Hello,

Many Alaskans swear by Subaru cars...and they are very popular. I do recommend four wheel drive or all wheel drive regardless of brand or style preference. With studded snow tires once the snow starts. ;-) If you live someplace now that is easy on cars (no road salt, desert climate, etc.), and have the resources to do so, you may be able to save money by buying in the Lower 48 and driving up. I only bought one car while living in Alaska, and used a car buying service, then picked it up in the Lower 48 myself that summer rather than paying to have it shipped.

John
Johncn

Return to ATP Forum