Ordering from Fred Meyer Online and Full Circle Farms

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Ordering from Fred Meyer Online and Full Circle Farms

Postby mrsbettyhall » Tue May 03, 2016 11:08 am

Does anyone have the web address or phone number for Fred Meyer bush deliveries? I've ordered all of the non-perishables from Walmart, but I am concerned about how milk, cheese, and eggs are delivered fresh. We have two kids, 2 and 4, so these are big items in our house. : ) Also, if anyone has used Full Circle Farms, what is your opinion? Thanks!

Betty
mrsbettyhall

Re: Ordering from Fred Meyer Online and Full Circle Farms

Postby Bushteachers » Tue May 03, 2016 3:48 pm

Only one Fred's in anchorage does bush orders (one in Fairbanks as well) and their number is 907-269-1700 I believe. It's the one on Muldoon.

I don't think you are going to get milk that way. We order our fresh veggies, eggs, and cheese from them and it comes through the mail. We only order Munster cheese from the deli though. The rest of our cheese is bought at Costco and mailed in a tote.

We've ordered over 80 dozen eggs in the last two school years and have only lost 6 dozen to breakage. 5 dozen happened on one shipment and Fred's replaced them because the new guy didn't wrap with bubble wrap.

Your best bet with milk is to start getting used to boxed milk. We drink coconut milk mainly and the boxes have a very long shelf life. If you are in a hub you may want to get some things locally.

I stand by my comments that full circle is a rip off. You can get organic veggies and regular veggies through Fred Meyers and the cost is half what full circle costs before shipping is factored in. I believe that a medium box was going to cost us $90 for shipping when we weren't in a hub.
We never did full circle but some of the teachers we worked with did, until they saw our Fred orders. They stopped full circle.
There is a reason fresh milk cost $15 plus a gallon in the villages. It is heavy and is hard to get. Box and powdered milk is the way to go.
Bushteachers

Postby Bushteachers » Tue May 03, 2016 3:52 pm

BTW I've never ordered online or via fax. I've always called our Fred orders in. I found that I order on Thursday or Friday so that my order is shopped for on Monday. Wednesday I had the order in hand as long as the weather cooperated. Priority mail.
Bushteachers

Postby mrsbettyhall » Tue May 03, 2016 4:59 pm

Thanks!
mrsbettyhall

Postby jamieburgess » Fri May 06, 2016 8:41 pm

Full Circle Farms is very expensive, but some people are still pretty adamant about ordering. I'm close to Bethel (our hub) and Meyers Farm has a wonderful selection at much lower prices, plus I can order exactly as much as I want, when I want.

I love fresh milk, but the boxed milk is actually just fine. However, I freely admit that when I pass through Bethel and I have time, I've been known to run to the AC and buy a gallon of milk and smuggle it on the bush plane - it's horribly expensive even there, though. Be aware that any liquids are heavy and therefore more expensive to ship.
jamieburgess

Postby mrsbettyhall » Mon May 09, 2016 12:42 pm

Thank you so much. I think I'll just go ahead and call Fred Meyer before we fly up, so that we can get an order delivered our first week. Thanks again!
mrsbettyhall

Postby Bushteachers » Mon May 09, 2016 7:03 pm

I'd wait. Find out what the shipping time is from anchorage to your village.
Our last order last school year was shipped over Memorial Day weekend and Ravn decided to not deliver the perishable item box, even though it was the same size and weight as the other box. Sunday and Monday no mail. Tuesday the whole box was ruined. It was Ravn's and the warm weather's fault.

Winter or spring or fall time is totally different than summer time when mailing.
You can order non perishable items early, but I strongly suggest getting the shipping time down first.
Bushteachers

Postby Bushteachers » Mon May 09, 2016 7:06 pm

My suggestion is to mail your clothes out from anchorage. Take the maximum amount of meat and veggies (fresh and frozen) that you can in your luggage. Ravn allows two free bags and PenAir only allows one. Not sure of the other carriers.
Bushteachers

Postby mrsbettyhall » Wed May 11, 2016 12:55 pm

We are travelling with our 2 and 4 year old, so we're going straight through without stopping to shop in Anchorage. I've got a ton of non perishables already waiting since Walmart ships for free, and we are checking some perishables. I've already planned to put in an order through Mr. Prime Beef to cover us in the meat area. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to sustain our supply of things like milk, butter, eggs, cheese, fruit, and veg. This is the only thing I haven't quite figured out!
: ) Thanks for all of the advice!!
mrsbettyhall

Postby Bushteachers » Wed May 11, 2016 7:12 pm

Canned veggies. Dehydrated veggies. Fresh veggies will be hard to afford all year. We mail butter and cheese and get our eggs through fred's as well.

Milk...boxed milk or just pay village prices. Our village we were in last year has milk running $18 gallon this year. Powdered milk is an option as well. We do coconut milk so we'd order wherever we could get it. Usually Fred's.
Bushteachers

Postby Johncn » Fri May 13, 2016 4:35 pm

Betty,

Although you are travelling with children, I would not personally recommend you skip a stop in Anchorage. We always had our kids with us when we came through town, and would not have wanted to arrive in the village for the year without doing what Bushteacher and some others recommend...making a shopping run to the bulk stores, mailing your clothes and non-essentials to yourself in the village, and using your luggage allotment to take fresh produce, some meat and other perishables in a cooler or tote.

We always used two of the rolling blue "cube" coolers, and had no trouble keeping them right at 50 lbs because we had a portable hand scale for luggage. In fact, when coming from Florida, we packed meat we had wrapped and pre-frozen, and fresh produce in those coolers as luggage and used bags of frozen corn and lima beans to keep them chilled on the flight even in July or August. Since Alaska Airlines Club 49 members (including new teachers if they sign up with their new village address) get two free 50 lbs bags for each ticket, we were in good shape for the fall upon arrival. We still mailed one bag each from Anchorage, and only carried our most essential things with us on the flight to the regional hub / village.

To respond to another question earlier someone posted, I would NOT worry about "fresh" milk. You and your kids will get used to shelf-stable milk you can buy and ship in bulk by the case from a variety of sources.

Although it's been about 24 months we've ordered, and could have changed in terms of feasibility, the main source that we used for bypass mailing some heavy items like milk was:

Span Alaska Sales
https://www.spanalaskasales.com/

Others will have different advice, as opinions are like elbows...everybody has one or two. I would not tell anyone try to keep whole milk as a goal for Bush living. For those who will carry their favorite dairy products in anyway, contrary to common wisdom, one actually CAN freeze milk and cheese to keep it longer term. Trust me. ;-) In fact, the local AC store (or similar) in the regional hubs freeze their milk for shipping much of the year. They defrost it prior to putting it in the display case. The cheese will crumble a bit when thawed out, but the milk should be fine when defrosted.

As far as Full Circle Farms goes, I agree with Bushteachers and others that it is not worth the high price. Fred Meyers, as well as other sources, can get you your fresh veggies - even organic if that's your thing - periodically sent out. We did use Full Circle when they first started shipping to the Norton Sound (Bering Sea) area we lived in, but we cancelled after about six months or so.

The stuff was generally good, and they stood by their shipments. But it was very, very expensive, and just not worth it to us. It seemed to be very popular with some members of the community...almost a cult following among those who helped facilitate local distribution when shipments came in...lol. But, we were just not believers, I am afraid. Each to their own, and if it makes you happy in the Bush when that bi-monthly box arrives, more power to you. Everybody has certain things that brighten their day or their week, and cost is no object. Could be ice cream for some, or steaks, or whole milk...for me, it was fresh lettuce. Flowers for my wife. Whatever it is, as long as you don't go overboard, you'll find those touchstones, locate a source, and will pay for it gladly. Cheaper than therapy. ;-)

Hope this helps,

John
Johncn

Postby mrsbettyhall » Fri May 13, 2016 7:21 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me that wonderful advice! I will take it all into consideration!!
mrsbettyhall

Postby michellemedlin » Sun May 22, 2016 5:57 pm

Where are you moving/teaching/grade?
michellemedlin

Postby mrsbettyhall » Mon May 23, 2016 7:58 am

We are going to Stebbins in the BSSD where I'll be the new AP.
mrsbettyhall

Postby michellemedlin » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:21 am

My HORRIBLE experience with Full Circle....

1) I went to their website to look around to see what they offered....
2) Without creating an account, you can't look around!!
3) So, I created an account - which requires FULL registration information (location, CC number, pick up location, etc.) So, I filled all this future information is so I could just see if I wanted to join!
4) A week or so later, I was billed $113.20 with a box waiting for me at the pick up location I chose....

I was Floored to say the least - IMMEDIATELY called my CC company and filed a dispute - I NEVER ordered from them - I only filled in information so I could see if I would be interested later when I moved.

Full Circle did end up refunding me - BUT - it was a horrible experience. I am in KANSAS and they shipped fresh stuff to the Alaskan bush for me to pick up!

BE CAREFUL WITH THEIR WEBSITE..... You will be signing up for your first delivery when you create an account - it isn't well stated.
michellemedlin

Postby mrsbettyhall » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:17 am

Thanks. I think I've decided against Full Circle Farms. : )
mrsbettyhall

Return to ATP Forum