Hiring age limit?

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Hiring age limit?

Postby Dannab1 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:18 pm

I have always wanted to teach in Alaska but life got in the way. I would like to apply for the 2019 school year. I will be 58 do you think that will stand in my way? I will be retiring from Texas at that time but I know I still have a lot of good years left!

I have over 30 years experience in Early Childhood. I have taught all over Texas, mostly low SES and ESL populations. I have worked with non-English speakers of many languages.I chose to work with inner city or poverty kids most of my career, they have my heart! Alaska is my dream, if not teaching than some type of work camping job.

Do you know of older teachers who have been hired or are most of the jobs going to new teachers?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Danna
Dannab1

Re: Hiring age limit?

Postby Bushteachers » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:44 pm

I think most districts will hire best candidate they can find. I worked with a brand new teacher three years ago. She was old enough to be my mom and I was 35 years old then.
Bushteachers

Postby Johncn » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:30 pm

Hello,

There is no age limit. Good teachers are ageless. ;-) As BushTeachers says, it's not uncommon at all to see non-traditional new teachers. It's also common to see teachers and administrators new to Alaska who have retired from districts in other states, and brought their experience up to Alaska.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby Dannab1 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:53 am

Awesome, thanks for the answers! Keepin' the dream alive!
Dannab1

Postby marymatt718 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:15 am

Dannab1,

I was hired for my first year in Alaska at 56. I will be 59 in January and am still here. (Maybe the cold weather preserves us and keeps us from aging...one can always hope!) Our 4th grade teacher is also retired from Texas, retired from here two years ago, got bored and came back this year. She is 63. It's not too late. I believe age is a mind-set. Mentally, I'm still only 34. :D

BTW, we will be needing some early childhood teachers next year in Togiak... :shock: ...we never found a permanent hire for our second kindergarten class, and at least one more elementary may be getting "a rock" while home for Christmas, so there is a chance she won't be returning next year if she does. We are the BEST of the bush communities (yeah, I'm biased, but with good reason), and an easy transition to life in Alaska. Read my post PLEASE LOOK AT TOGIAK for more propaganda...er :roll: ...information... ;).
marymatt718

Postby Charmaine57 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:45 am

Thank you for telling me I may follow my dream - to teach in Alaska. I am 58 years old, but I have a tremendous passion for teaching - I love teaching. Now my husband and I want to follow our dream - to live in Alaska. I am hoping I will get a job offer for next year - we are ready to have our dream! Renee Peters
Charmaine57

Postby Dannab1 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:47 am

awesome Renee! I have a few more years before I can head that way! Keep me posted please as to how your search goes!
Danna
Dannab1

Return to ATP Forum