24 hour car rental in Anchorage?

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

24 hour car rental in Anchorage?

Postby ElemEducator » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:38 am

Hey does anyone happen to know if there is a car rental in ANC that is open 24 hours? Our flight back up from the lower 48 puts us in Anchorage at 2 am and I cannot find any 24 hour agencies.

Thanks for any advice/help!
ElemEducator

Re: 24 hour car rental in Anchorage?

Postby Johncn » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Hi,

You might want to call the local (Anchorage) counter of the major agencies directly. Because ANC is a happening place at 2 AM (many, many East-bound flights are redeyes out of Anchorage), and the holidays mean additional activity, some of them may have extended hours not posted on their websites. I'm not sure of that, just saying it's possible. I have seen a few instances of extended hours with car rentals in holiday seasons past.

Good luck,

John
Johncn

Postby ElemEducator » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:46 pm

Thanks, John. I've contacted a couple places and no luck. I'll keep my fingers crossed
ElemEducator

Postby Bushteachers » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:41 pm

If I'm not mistaken enterprise at the airport was open the latest. We use orbitz to book and put our pick up time for when we need it. I know I've picked up at 1:30 am before.

I'm assuming you are staying in a hotel? If it has a shuttle just utilize that option then ride shuttle back to airport next morning.

Anyways, I know that enterprise is opened the latest.
Bushteachers

Postby ElemEducator » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:14 am

Thanks for the advice on Enterprise. Our flight arrives from Seattle at 2:05 AM and I see alot of branches closing right at 2:00. We are not getting a hotel as our flight leaves for Sand Point at 2:00 PM that same day. Can't wait to spend 12 hours at costco and the post office.....YAY!
ElemEducator

Postby Bushteachers » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:48 pm

You using totes? Don't forget that Costco doesn't open until 10ish? Or is it 9? Post office at 8...you might be cutting it close.
Not sure how seasoned you are, but hit Costco up for meat. Use the Fred Meyers bush orders for everything else. They charge you a 10% handling and packing fee...well worth it IMO (but we have two small kids) and they ship for you. You won't have to deal with the post office crowd. I went in last Saturday and the line was wrapped around the packing tables all the way in the back. I decided to pay the extra bag fee on PenAir.

Another idea would be to just sleep in the airport for a few hours until the rental car places open.
Bushteachers

Return to ATP Forum