Searching for Job Prior to Graduation?

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Searching for Job Prior to Graduation?

Postby Joshuawalker » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:40 am

I am not sure if this is the correct place for this question but I will give it a shot. I will be attending the Seattle and Portland job fairs in March and April respectively, however, I do not graduate with my Masters in Teaching until April, 30. My question is whether school districts will hire or make a commitment to you before you have officially graduated contingent upon the graduation? The reason I ask is I have a wife and two kids and we would like to get lined up as early as possible and would like to move to the community early. Thank you in advance for your time and input.
Joshuawalker

Re: Searching for Job Prior to Graduation?

Postby Johncn » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:06 am

My question is whether school districts will hire or make a commitment to you before you have officially graduated contingent upon the graduation?

Hi Joshua,

Welcome to the ATP Forum. Yes, districts will treat you as a viable candidate if you are just wrapping up your pre-service undergrad or graduate program. The majority of new hires who are coming out of programs each academic year (2015-16 currently) are looking for 2016-17 SY jobs. Districts will require you to be certified in Alaska prior to starting work, of course, but they realize that you can't get your "institutional recommendation" for EED until you have completed your program. Therefore, if they only hired teachers holding that certificate or degree, they would not be able to interview and hire until summer. That would not work in Alaska, as most districts start hiring in the mid-winter (January or February) for the following fall. They try to have the majority of their hiring for the coming August school year done by April or May.

Hope this helps,

John
Johncn

Postby Joshuawalker » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:19 am

Thank you so much for the info! That makes perfect sense. So how about the application for this site or Applitrack? Should I just fill out what I can, put my references on there etc? Then as I get stuff knocked out I can edit the application, or is best to wait?
Joshuawalker

Postby Toni McFadden » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:27 pm

Joshua,
Get started on your online application now. You can always update your online application. Keep in mind the last thing you have added is what everyone sees.

One thing I tell everyone is to keep your cover letter general..."this is who I am, this is why I'm special, this is why I want to teach in Alaska." When you apply for a specific job, email a letter to the district that tells them why you want to go to their district. Make sure you do your homework and know something about the districts you apply for. Make sure that community will meet your needs so you are happy there.
Best wishes on your job search.
Toni
Toni McFadden

Return to ATP Forum