Getting AK teaching certification

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Getting AK teaching certification

Postby mdcurler » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:58 am

Hey all,
Just exploring the opportunity in teaching in Alaska. I've been looking for information about obtaining an Alaska Teaching Certificate.

Currently I have a Maryland State Advanced Professional Certificate, with accreditation in ESOL and Reading. Highly Qualified in High School mathematics. Over 10 years of teaching experience.

Was just hoping that this would be a simple process.

Thanks
Continue being Awesome!
mdcurler

Re: Getting AK teaching certification

Postby Johncn » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:18 am

Hi,

Welcome to the ATP Forum.

I'm not sure what your specific questions are. Have you looked at the resources on the Alaska EED website are regarding certification? Do you have questions about the process? Working and living in the state? Your original post doesn't have a single question mark in it. ;-)

You've come to the right place, and we're happy to help. But, I think if you ask for opinions or information more directly you will probably get a better response.

Your timing for general questions and research is good for the spring of 2016 job search cycle. You are ahead of the game. Lots of the folks here have many years of teaching and administrative experience in Alaska.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby mdcurler » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:09 am

You are correct. Sorry about that.

The EED website was a bit cryptic.

Questions
1. Can I just transfer my credentials from my Advanced Professional Certificate from Maryland to Alaska?
2. It says I must take 6 credits of Alaska communication (multiculturalism), must this be done from an Alaskan University? If so, any idea what courses are cheapest?
3. Will I need to provide my Praxis 1 and 2 scores, those happened a long time ago.?

Thanks
mdcurler

Postby Bushteachers » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:49 pm

mdcurler wrote:You are correct. Sorry about that.

The EED website was a bit cryptic.

Questions
1. Can I just transfer my credentials from my Advanced Professional Certificate from Maryland to Alaska?
2. It says I must take 6 credits of Alaska communication (multiculturalism), must this be done from an Alaskan University? If so, any idea what courses are cheapest?
3. Will I need to provide my Praxis 1 and 2 scores, those happened a long time ago.?

Thanks

1. We were both certified in another state. Our professional certificates didn't really transfer, but it was different than a co-worker that wasn't certified. So I'd email EED and ask, there is a process for someone like you (and us) and as long as you follow the steps you will be fine.

2. THose 6 credits you will have two years to take. My initial certificate was for two years (but I was already certified in another state) and I didn't start taking them until we completed our first year (I wanted to make sure the Alaskan winter was doable for us, since we were coming from GA). There are many ways to get the credits. Some districts help with the courses, some don't. SOmetimes there is free professional development offered that covers one or both. Search here for previous threads over the required courses.

3. Yes. Yes you will. We both exempted praxis 1 in GA (and I believe TX allows exemption) and we had to take it. GA also didn't do praxis 2, since they had their own test (GACE) and those scores were accepted in place of praxis 2 scores. The older scores can be found online if you go to the praxis website.
Bushteachers

Return to ATP Forum