Internet/Phone Service

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Internet/Phone Service

Postby Redclover711 » Mon May 11, 2015 2:37 pm

We have secured housing in Hoonah for next year, but now are looking at all of the other details. We will be coming in via Juneau then ferry over to Hoonah probably. I found that ATT provides phone service in that region along with GCI. It looks like the ATT service is cheaper. Is this correct...anyone with experience? For internet, I am having trouble tracking down a provider. It doesn't look like GCI provides internet there and I am trying to determine if the DirectTV or DISH might? Any other internet avenues one can think of? I know I can use the school internet in the beginning, but am just trying to see what the options might be. As far as shopping, I am thinking it might be best to take the ferry and save room in the car for totes and perishables. How expensive is it to send the totes through a bush mailing service out of Costco, etc? Lastly, I was going to set up a Full Circle account for fresh, organic produce. Has anyone used this service? Is it worth the price?

Thanks for any feedback!
Redclover711

Re: Internet/Phone Service

Postby Bushteachers » Mon May 11, 2015 2:48 pm

Redclover711 wrote:We have secured housing in Hoonah for next year, but now are looking at all of the other details. We will be coming in via Juneau then ferry over to Hoonah probably. I found that ATT provides phone service in that region along with GCI. It looks like the ATT service is cheaper. Is this correct...anyone with experience? For internet, I am having trouble tracking down a provider. It doesn't look like GCI provides internet there and I am trying to determine if the DirectTV or DISH might? Any other internet avenues one can think of? I know I can use the school internet in the beginning, but am just trying to see what the options might be. As far as shopping, I am thinking it might be best to take the ferry and save room in the car for totes and perishables. How expensive is it to send the totes through a bush mailing service out of Costco, etc? Lastly, I was going to set up a Full Circle account for fresh, organic produce. Has anyone used this service? Is it worth the price?

Thanks for any feedback!

I'm not a fan of full circle. You may want to make sure what the shipping cost is to your village. Their medium size box was going to cost us $92 to get. That included the cost of the veggies. I have found that Fred Meyer's Bush Orders gets the produce to me in two days and shipping is pretty reasonable (USPS), however if the boxes take awhile to get to you, you may want to rethink that.
The quality of produce from Fred's was as good as Full Circle but more than 1/2 the cost.
Your cost from Anchorage will be around 50 cents to dollar a pound depending on weight and method.
Bushteachers

Postby Redclover711 » Mon May 11, 2015 2:54 pm

Good to know! It was around $56 to get to us I believe for a medium box at pickup location. I imagine the produce from Fred Meyer to Hoonah would not be more than a day or two with daily flights, so it should stay relatively fresh hopefully.
Redclover711

Postby Bushteachers » Mon May 11, 2015 3:54 pm

Redclover711 wrote:Good to know! It was around $56 to get to us I believe for a medium box at pickup location. I imagine the produce from Fred Meyer to Hoonah would not be more than a day or two with daily flights, so it should stay relatively fresh hopefully.

Possibly the Fred stuff is fresh. I just placed an order (15th one). I can dig out a receipt and break it down if you'd like. It'll have shipping and the 10% charge.

We've ordered over 60 dozen eggs this school year. Only lost a dozen to breakage (except one order where we lost 4 dozen, which they replaced).
Bushteachers

Postby schneidler » Mon May 18, 2015 3:48 pm

I don't know very much about southeast Alaska. I can speak to GCI vs ATT a little bit - GCI has much more coverage all over the state than ATT does. Way more. But if you're not going to western Alaska or the different areas where AT&T is not, that might not matter to you. We have GCI and it works well for us in Western Alaska (and I travel to many different villages in Western AK for my job), and also has done fine in our summer travels up and down the west coast and even in Hawaii. I have heard others say they sometimes have coverage issues on the east coast with GCI but I can't speak to that personally.

My wife and I have used full circle for years. The quality and selection, and the ordering interface, are all top notch. But it is expensive. I think we pay about $700 for 10 boxes. When you pay for 10 up front you get a small discount like 5% off. I'm interested in trying out fred meyer to compare the price and quality. If you will be near Bethel, http://www.meyersfarm.net/ has a produce delivery service similar to full circle with mostly local produce. But also not cheap. If you are IN Bethel of course you can buy your produce at their farm at reasonable prices for the bush.
schneidler

Postby marymatt718 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:37 am

I'm with bushteachers on Full Circle.
The produce comes from the Pacific Northwest mostly, so really, buy the time you get it in Alaska, it's not THAT fresh. I also had problems with the carriers (cargo service, not mail service) tossing the box around, so I had to quit getting leafy greens, grapes (what a mess they were), peaches, and anything else that might bruise in the box. Full Circle really didn't do a great job of packing, and there was never any cushioning or stabilization in the box. My box might have started with the potatoes on the bottom and the grapes on top, but, by the time I got it, I had potatoes, raisins and grape juice. They were always good about giving me credit for the damages, but I still didn't have my produce, and I had to think that it wasn't going to be worth the effort or expense for either of us, Full Circle or me, very quickly. From what bushteachers has posted in this Forum, Fred's does a better job of packing everything, and it comes through the mail. Our mail planes here are much better at handling packages than our cargo service is in Bristol Bay.

You can save some money with Full Circle, if you go in with several others and order the largest box available, splitting the cost. The problem I had with that was that if stuff was damaged, it was on my credit card, and I was the one who had to wait for the reimbursement.
marymatt718

Postby Bushteachers » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:03 am

steven c wrote:I want to teach online via skype. But my students are using viber. Now how can i teach them and share my screen with them.

Look into videyo. Skype is a bandwidth hog. I'll talk to my wife in the morning. Half her course load was online and she knows some good apps.
Bushteachers

Return to ATP Forum