Resubmitting application for new openings

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Resubmitting application for new openings

Postby CoreyShep » Thu May 14, 2015 6:23 pm

I've submitted my main ATP application (as well as separate applications for Kenai and Anchorage districts) with the selected JobIDs that were available at the time and matching my qualifications. So that is submitted and done. Now I see a new JobID on ATP, I click "Apply," and I resubmit my application.

1. Does this send a duplicate (and subsequent) application each time a new JobID is applied for? I would rather not inundate the people I want to hire me with unnecessary emails or alerts.

2. When selecting criteria for "Desired Position" in the application, does this automatically apply me for positions or alert districts in any way of my eligibility? I'm unclear as to the purpose of that function.

Thank you for your help.
CoreyShep

Re: Resubmitting application for new openings

Postby Johncn » Thu May 14, 2015 6:42 pm

Hello,

Yes, when you select a new position, the district is (in theory) notified. However, many districts use the Applitrack system differently. They may or may not choose to get notifications. The key is to get their ATTENTION, as they are very busy with the end of school, graduation, end of year grant reports and so on. You should not worry about flooding the HR departments with notices at this time of year. In fact, for those you are very interested in, I recommend calling to follow up, and sending personal emails to the HR contacts for that district. Polite and persistent has gotten many teachers jobs in Alaska.

The purpose if the other feature is so that (mostly) rural districts who are looking for candidates (whether you have applied with them or not) can find teachers who are looking for certain types of jobs. This is how many, and perhaps even most districts use the system best. They look for "pools" of candidates that have indicated an interest in certain types of jobs, and then contact applicants that catch their interest.

Hope this helps,

John
Johncn

Re: Resubmitting application for new openings

Postby CoreyShep » Thu May 14, 2015 6:49 pm

Johncn wrote:Hello,

Yes, when you select a new position, the district is (in theory) notified. However, many districts use the Applitrack system differently. They may or may not choose to get notifications. The key is to get their ATTENTION, as they are very busy with the end of school, graduation, end of year grant reports and so on. You should not worry about flooding the HR departments with notices at this time of year. In fact, for those you are very interested in, I recommend calling to follow up, and sending personal emails to the HR contacts for that district. Polite and persistent has gotten many teachers jobs in Alaska.

The purpose if the other feature is so that (mostly) rural districts who are looking for candidates (whether you have applied with them or not) can find teachers who are looking for certain types of jobs. This is how many, and perhaps even most districts use the system best. They look for "pools" of candidates that have indicated an interest in certain types of jobs, and then contact applicants that catch their interest.

Hope this helps,

John

That is a HUGE help! Thank you! I plan to begin my follow ups immediately. The autoresponse I received from Anchorage's Applitrack suggested that contacting schools directly before I have been released as a qualified candidate may disqualify me from being considered at all, so I will stick to following up with the other districts I have applied with. I have a spreadsheet with contact info for HR/principals/superintendents (as appropriate) that I have gleaned from district/school websites.
CoreyShep

Return to ATP Forum