Seeking an Assistant Principal position

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Seeking an Assistant Principal position

Postby natmikesell » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:57 am

Hi everyone! Moving to Alaska has been a goal for my family and myself for many years. I started watching this site several years ago and have researched the move and what it would mean ever since. I finish up the last part of my internship for my administration license next week here in Ohio. What we would love to do is to transition into administration by finding a position in Alaska. I am open to just about any community. I have applied for all of the positions through the ATP board. However, my question is this: Is there something else that I could do to be considered for any of these positions? I was unable to attend any of the job fairs because of our state testing schedules here. I am sure that would have helped. Is there something that I have not done yet that I could be doing so that I could be considered for the 15-16 school year? I have already started saving for at least one job fair next year if I am unable to find something this year.

Thank you for your help!

- Natalie
natmikesell

Re: Seeking an Assistant Principal position

Postby Bushteachers » Mon May 11, 2015 7:48 pm

natmikesell wrote:Hi everyone! Moving to Alaska has been a goal for my family and myself for many years. I started watching this site several years ago and have researched the move and what it would mean ever since. I finish up the last part of my internship for my administration license next week here in Ohio. What we would love to do is to transition into administration by finding a position in Alaska. I am open to just about any community. I have applied for all of the positions through the ATP board. However, my question is this: Is there something else that I could do to be considered for any of these positions? I was unable to attend any of the job fairs because of our state testing schedules here. I am sure that would have helped. Is there something that I have not done yet that I could be doing so that I could be considered for the 15-16 school year? I have already started saving for at least one job fair next year if I am unable to find something this year.

Thank you for your help!

- Natalie

Have you looked into principal/teacher positions? Or just regular teaching to get foot in the door? What districts are you looking at?
Bushteachers

Postby natmikesell » Tue May 12, 2015 7:12 am

I am open to any and all districts but would prefer a bush village. Because I will be a first year administrator, I am not seeking a Principal/Teacher position. I would like to be able to really have the time to concentrate on being a good administrator.
natmikesell

Postby Bushteachers » Tue May 12, 2015 8:21 am

natmikesell wrote:I am open to any and all districts but would prefer a bush village. Because I will be a first year administrator, I am not seeking a Principal/Teacher position. I would like to be able to really have the time to concentrate on being a good administrator.

Principal teacher is a position that is split between principal and teacher. Many smaller schools do not have a VP/AP they only have a P/T.
Your bigger locations might be what you are searching for, but a good way to get your feet wet is a smaller school (50 students k-12) with a principal teacher position.
Bushteachers

Return to ATP Forum