Out of state teacher/current rural openings

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Out of state teacher/current rural openings

Postby Pdreger » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:18 am

Hi, I am a Florida certified Sped Teacher looking for an immediate posting in Alaska. I have noted many openings. I placed my info on ATP, what else should I do for consideration? May I apply for certification in Alaska without a position and prior to residency?
Pdreger

Re: Out of state teacher/current rural openings

Postby Toni McFadden » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:28 pm

Hello Pdreger,
You can apply for your initial Alaska teacher certification at any time, no job or Alaska residency is required. Keep in mind you will have one year to complete the required 6 credits (Alaska Native Education and Alaska History).

I always suggest that you send a letter of introduction to the school districts that you have applied to. This letter should state why you are interested in that specific school district, that teaching position and something that makes you stand out in the crowd. This should be crafted specifically for the school district, unlike the generic one attached to your online application that everyone has access to.

Best wishes on your job search.
Toni
Toni McFadden

Postby Pdreger » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:36 pm

Thank you so much for the information. Kindest regards, Phyllis
Pdreger

Postby Johncn » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:04 am

Phyllis,

There are numerous Special Ed openings right now in Alaska. Like any new candidate, however, I'd recommend that you start with narrowing down here you want o live and work before making any decisions about which specific positions you are going to pursue. There are dramatic differences in the road system districts - Anchorage, Fairbanks, Juneau, Kenai and Mat Su - and rural Alaskan "Bush" districts. Good Special Ed jobs exist in both at the moment, and I just checked several of them...they are freshly posted.

If you are certified in Special Ed, and have had a traditional preparation program, have Praxis or other solid test scores and are flexible, there are some amazing experiences you could be having in a week or ten days, as rural districts need candidates who can report for In-Service training and/or orientation almost immediately.

I would comb the main ATP website (http://www.alaskateacher.org) for information on rural Alaska first, and see if that is what you are looking for. If so, I would take advantage of the four hour time difference between Florida and Alaska, and start sending out short emails of introduction (as Toni suggests), and then follow up with phone calls to the district HR offices. You could be quite popular, and fishing for silver salmon at the district in-service by this time next week. Seriously. ;-)

Good luck,

John
Johncn

Postby Pdreger » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:20 pm

Thanks so much for the information. I did send two brief queries and have two replies. I will follow up Wednesday with a couple of phone calls. Phyllis
Pdreger

Postby Pdreger » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:49 am

Thanks for all the guidance. I have signed a contract! The phone has not stopped ringing with offers. I will have to now go and take my application down. This was an excellent way to find job offers and let people know of my interests. Thanks so much!
Pdreger

Postby Johncn » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:24 pm

Hey Phillis,

Congrats! That what ATP is all about...helping people and the districts find the right fit. :D Where are you headed?

FYI: there is no way for you to take your application down. Just send a request to atp@teachers4schools.com, and they will deactivate it for you.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby Pdreger » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:40 pm

I chose Gambell. Everyone that I have dealt with so far, from all of the districts that called were very warm and made me feel that I have been welcomed into a family. Gambell in particular, worked to match my interests to one of their openings. Everyone has been unbelievably kind. Alaska certification analysts, likewise, have been more than helpful. Everything has run very smoothly. You were right. I will be on a flight Sunday, and mudboots on the ground by Wednesday! Thanks again.
Pdreger

Postby Toni McFadden » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:21 am

Congratulations! Gambell is a beautiful place to live. I'm so glad you found what you are looking for.
Toni
Toni McFadden

Return to ATP Forum