Quick Questions

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Quick Questions

Postby esbynum » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:45 pm

I am in my mid 30's and will finish up my teaching certification this coming November. I'm very interested in teaching in Alaska and have a couple of questions.

1. I spent 3 years teaching English in Korea before being certified. I know this would not count toward anything but wondered if my experience living overseas would be viewed as a positive in the eyes of those in Alaska? I'm interested in teaching in the bush and know it can be difficult just like it was a challenge to get used to living in Korea.

2. Do most districts care about age? I will be nearing 40 by the time I could move out to teach and wondered if they look for younger teachers or if that doesn't really matter like most other places.

Thanks to everyone for all their input. I have done a lot of research in the old forums and I am starting to put together a list of places I am interested in so I can be ready for the next hiring season.
esbynum

Re: Quick Questions

Postby Toni McFadden » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:41 pm

Good comparison about teaching oversees and in the rural Alaskan communities. These communities can be very different than living anywhere else in the United States so yes, districts would consider the fact you were successful overseas and being helpful for your adjustment.

Age does not play a part in hiring practices. Experience, certifications, ability to adapt to a rural community, willingness to become part of the community; those are the things a school district is looking for in someone who is 25 or 65.
Best wishes for your Alaskan job search.
Toni
Toni McFadden

Return to ATP Forum