Is It Too Late?

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Is It Too Late?

Postby BigTechDaddy » Sat May 03, 2014 3:56 pm

Hello,

My wife and I are contemplating a move to SE Alaska. She has been a special ed teacher for over 14 years for a district in Portland, OR working with emotionally disturbed students.

What I am wondering is that if it is too late for this summer to get a job and move? I know there are positions open, but also have noticed that a lot of them close within two weeks of opening. I have also noticed that some are still posted even after "expiring". She is wrapping up the application I am hoping this weekend.

As for me, I have a cushy work from home job that as long as I have internet and a cell phone, I can work from anywhere . . . including whilst fishing. I am just wondering if it may be best to plan out a year and try this next spring.

BTD
BigTechDaddy

Re: Is It Too Late?

Postby Johncn » Sat May 03, 2014 9:29 pm

Hi,

No, it's not too late for a good job this year in Southeast Alaska. You are correct that there are lots of changes this time of year. It's busy for districts, and funding details for next year just became evident in the last week or so. Keep checking the job postings on the ATP site. Be aware that districts are responsible for posting, and taking down their own listings, so their attention to the details in a busy part of their hiring cycle may vary....resulting in sometimes "stale" job postings. It pays to also try to establish contact with the districts your wife is most interested in by email with an attached resume / cover letter, and to have the process of Alaska certification started.

Good luck, and happy hunting. Feel free to ask questions here as your search deepens.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby Darla Grediagin » Mon May 05, 2014 7:56 am

It is never too late. Last year we had a teacher get a job in July. Other people have asked how he got the job because it is in a village that lots of people would like to move to. He got the job because he was paying attention to our openings.

Keep following the openings. Often one person filling a position means another open position in a different district.
Darla Grediagin

Postby BigTechDaddy » Tue May 06, 2014 10:56 am

Boy, things move fast. She submitted the app Sunday night and already has a skype interview setup for this week.
BigTechDaddy

Postby Darla Grediagin » Tue May 06, 2014 11:02 am

That is the point on staying with the boards until you have a job.

Please tell her "Good Luck" on the interview. I have found Skype interviews to be easier than face to face interviews. I am able to surround myself with the items that make me comfortable, things that I don't want to forget to tell the interviewer about.

Just remember if it is a video Skype interview to have an uncluttered background.
Darla Grediagin

Postby BigTechDaddy » Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm

Well, she's been offered a position, now we are having to make a descision by morning.
BigTechDaddy

Postby Johncn » Thu May 08, 2014 8:55 pm

Hi,

Well, good luck in her decision making process. Southeast Alaska is beautiful. Hope it works out for all concerned, and then you can start to plan your move!

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby BigTechDaddy » Fri May 09, 2014 11:32 am

Well, I guess we had better start packing. My wife accepted a position this morning. Fun, but nervous times for all!
BigTechDaddy

Postby Darla Grediagin » Fri May 09, 2014 1:45 pm

After you accept a job it is always a nervous time as you figure what you want to take. You may want to check the older forum for ideas.

One idea that has worked well, is to keep track of what you eat for a week. Then you have a better idea on how much food you may want to send in.

Take the things with you that will make you happy. This sounds obvious, but I remember when I moved to Unalakleet, I decided that I could do without television. That last two weeks.

Good luck and congratulations to your wife.
Darla Grediagin

Postby BigTechDaddy » Sun May 11, 2014 4:22 pm

Well, we made our first "large" purchase for our adventure. Traded in the mini-van for a gas guzzling GMC Yukon XL SLT. Actually, the "in-town" mileage is the same as the mini-van so we will only suffer about 4mpg less on the highway.

Next up, sell the RV and the House :) :D
BigTechDaddy

Postby macuser64 » Mon May 12, 2014 5:22 pm

Congratulations on the new job and exciting adventure! Where will your wife be teaching? Good luck selling the house and RV! At least the housing market's improved. :)
macuser64

Postby BigTechDaddy » Tue May 13, 2014 11:13 am

Hydaburg, AK.

RV is up for sale on Craigslist. House goes up this weekend. Moving at the speed of sound!
BigTechDaddy

Postby Darla Grediagin » Tue May 13, 2014 11:48 am

Wow,

I am impressed. We didn't sell anything to move to the Bush. Now I am moving to Anchorage and thinking about selling property in Fairbanks.

Good luck with the sale of the big items.

Darla
Darla Grediagin

Postby BigTechDaddy » Tue May 13, 2014 12:00 pm

Well, we have long outgrown our 3bed 2bath house with three boys and two adults, so selling the house seemed like a smart thing to do. As far as the RV is concerned, getting a lot of flack on that from FaceBook friends about, "How can you sell when you can camp in AK?"

I don't think they realize how expensive it is to take a trailer on a ferry. Not too mention, I am not a fan of tent trailers versus bears equation.

We only have 7 weeks before we have to be up there, here's to hoping the house sells fast. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
BigTechDaddy

Postby Darla Grediagin » Tue May 13, 2014 12:07 pm

This is a little off topic, but don't be afraid to tent camp in Alaska. I have done it myself and I would allow my son to tent camp in the mountains around Anchorage with just our dog for company when he was twelve. :roll:
Darla Grediagin

Postby BigTechDaddy » Tue May 13, 2014 1:14 pm

LOL - as my wife and I get older, we are more inclined for creature comforts. I did enough "tent" camping in the army. We debated taking the RV with us, but decided against it. Not too mention we can use the proceeds for the move.
BigTechDaddy

Return to ATP Forum