Hydaburg Alaska?

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Hydaburg Alaska?

Postby Bdub » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:35 am

My wife and I have been talking with the Hydaburg School District. We have been doing crazy research about the area. I have just found this forum and I was hoping that someone from that area or is knowledgeable of the area could give me more information about what life is like there. We have a 10 year old girl and 12 and 14 year old boys. They are excited about the possible change, but we are concerned that this will be more of a culture shock than they could possibly know.
Bdub

Re: Hydaburg Alaska?

Postby Bdub » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:19 pm

I'm just going to post questions as they come to me. Maybe, I will get some answers. If not, no problem. So, one thing that just popped into my head is I have heard that four wheelers and boats are very handy on POW. Do I need a lawn mower?
Bdub

Postby macuser64 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:23 am

Good luck with the search and about Hydaburg. I, personally, know nothing about it! What type of teacher are you? I think I might have seen you speaking with Mr. Burch at the MN Job Fair this past weekend.
macuser64

Postby Bdub » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:05 pm

Thank you for the reply. I teach Language Arts and Theater Arts. My wife teaches Special Education. She has spoken with Mr. Birch, but I have not. Unfortunately, we have not been able to attend a Job fair. We currently live in Tennessee, and time and finances hindered us from going.
Bdub

Postby Johncn » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:41 pm

Bdub,

I don't personally have any first hand knowledge about Hydaburg. Southeast is nice, and has good access to the state ferry system. I'm not sure about a lawnmower, but if you do a real estate search in Google, it'll probably give you a good idea if homes have lawns. ;-) I am pretty sure that others will be more valuable in Hydaburg research than I will.

Also, you'll get more response with specific questions than you will with "what is life like?". It's kind of tough to respond to generic inquiries. Welcome to the ATP Forum, though!

Regards,

John
Johncn

Return to ATP Forum