Selawik School / Anchorage Schools?

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Selawik School / Anchorage Schools?

Postby tlalonde » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:04 pm

Hello everyone! I’m Tabitha. I was just at the Seattle ATP fair this weekend, and got two letters of intent. I’m trying to do a little more research on the school districts to help me make a decision. I was offered places at Anchorage School District and Selawik School. I’m really looking for a more personal perspective on the communities and schools in the area...Not sure what school in Anchorage I would be at, but any personal experiences that you are willing to share would be great!

What are the communities like? Are folks there pretty accepting of newcomers? I’m also curious about teacher housing in Selawik. Any other stories, experiences, or advice would be much appreciated!
tlalonde

Re: Selawik School / Anchorage Schools?

Postby Darla Grediagin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:50 am

Good morning,

I haven't been to Selawick, but I do live in Bush Alaska. You couldn't be comparing more different living experiences.

Selawick has 830 people. You fly into and out of there. As in any smaller place, you will be much more part of the school than if you were in a larger town. It is a little bit north of where I am. This means you will have shorter days in the Winter time. Unfortunately, that is all I really know about Selawick.

This compares to Anchorage which has about 350,000 people and has a lot of the big city benefits/drawbacks of any other city. I grew up in Anchorage think it has some real pluses, but I really enjoy living in the Bush and visiting the city from time to time.

I hope someone with Selawick experience can answer your post. Good luck with your choices.

Darla
Darla Grediagin

Postby tlalonde » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:01 am

I do realize the two are totally different! :) I was hoping for some insider perspectives about the two places...things like what the people in the area/schools are like, housing etc. I personally am leaning more towards Selawik because the thought of living in a big city is not for me. I grew up in rural Upstate NY in a town of 700 people. Hoping to talk to someone there before I ultimately make my decision!

What are the people like in the Bush villages that you have lived? Have the folks there generally been accepting of new people coming in?
tlalonde

Postby Betty Walters » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi Tabitha,

The first letter of intent should be legally binding. Did the second district know that you had already signed with another district?

Betty Walters
Betty Walters

Postby tlalonde » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:15 pm

I haven't signed with either district yet...just have two offers that I have to choose from Betty! I have to either accept or refuse their offers by the end of the week.
tlalonde

Postby Betty Walters » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:53 pm

Thanks for the response Tabitha.

Anchorage is about the size of Buffalo, NY. Selawick is about the size of your community but in a remote rural location without the typical roads that you have in NY. The individual districts can share information with you on the specifics of what the schools and communities are like. Read more on the ATP Forum as to teaching and living across Alaska. Listen to the ATP chats that are available when you have the time. Check out the information on the school district websites. Perhaps someone from the Northwest Arctic Borough School District
and/or the Anchorage School District will respond to you on the ATP Forum.

Have a great time as you make an informed decision.

Betty Walters
Betty Walters

Postby tlalonde » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:06 pm

Thanks for the advice guys! I decided to take the job in Selawik school! I'm very excited to begin my Bush adventure!
tlalonde

Postby Darla Grediagin » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:01 pm

Congratulations Tabitha,

I hope you have a great year.
Darla Grediagin

Return to ATP Forum