Questions About Job Fairs?

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Questions About Job Fairs?

Postby Johncn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:02 am

Hey Folks,

The ATP Job Fairs are coming up quickly now, with the first one in Seattle less that TWO WEEKS from now on March 29. :ugeek:

Who's going, and do you have any questions?

Regards,

John
Johncn

Re: Questions About Job Fairs?

Postby jen_sargent679 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:37 am

Hi! I'm going to the Minneapolis Job Fair in April. I'm very excited to see some of the school districts that I've applied to since joining this site.

How many copies of my resume should I bring? Should I bring my yellow card with me? What about work samples?

Thanks,

Jennifer
jen_sargent679

Postby Johncn » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:32 pm

Jennifer,

I personally would look at the number of districts listed as coming, and bring one for each. You may not need them, but resumes are relatively cheap. :shock: Better to have a few extras and not need them be running around trying to make copies.

I'd bring your yellow card. It's not really necessary, but it's a nice touch.

Work samples are tough to know about, but if it isn't a huge portfolio, and you can bring, I'd say it couldn't hurt. Most districts will not take time to see it a bigger, busier fair. But, the ATP-focused Minneapolis event is intimate enough that you may have a more willing audience.

Good questions, and as always on our forum, you may get differing opinions from others!

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby jen_sargent679 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:39 am

One week to go until the Minneapolis Job Fair!

Any last minute advice?

Thanks,

Jennifer
jen_sargent679

Postby cbeckley » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:12 pm

Jennifer - A couple things.

1. Be prepared with your resumes and be prepared to let a district know what you offer them.

2. Be prepared to accept a job if one is offered. This may sound like the obvious, but it is not. Many people think they want to go to Alaska, only to hesitate when offered a position. Do your research ahead of time. Know something about the districts that you will be talking to. Also, have the discussions ahead of time with your - parents, husband or wife, significant other, children, etc. Many districts are looking to fill positions when they come to the job fair. If they offer you a position, be prepared to give them an answer. If you aren't prepared to give them an answer, please don't be disappointed if they offer the position to someone else.

Most districts will give you some time to think about it, but, if you just want more time to talk to family members - do yourself a favor and have these discussions prior to the job fair. If you want more time to interview with other districts, be honest about this and let them know that you have some other interviews scheduled and you want to honor those.

3. Keep a positive attitude. Not every district is a fit for you, nor are their openings fit for what you offer. However, each discussion with a district is a new opportunity. If you flip a coin 9 times and it comes up "heads" 9 times, the odds that the coin will come up "heads" on the 10th flip is still 50-50. All the previous flips have no bearing on the 10th flip. It's still either heads or tails.

Interviews are the same. Do not allow disappointments from previous interviews to influence your next interviews.

Good luck and see you in Minneapolis!

- Chick Beckley
cbeckley

Postby jen_sargent679 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:24 pm

I met Chick! And I highly recommend sitting down with this gentleman and picking his brain. I hate that I ran out of time to talk with him. I spent all day at the job fair in Minneapolis and learned lots of information.

School districts are very honest and very up front if you are not a good fit. I am very happy that Bering Strait let me know within 3 questions that the only location available would not work with my family. I met districts that had no positions open in science, but they have my resume just in case ;) The reception time at the hotel was great! I got to meet with a few of the districts in a very casual environment.

I went to Minneapolis completely set on one school district. I was completely off guard when I was handed a letter of intent by a school district that I had barely researched. Yikes! I am scrambling to evaluate where I stand now with my top schools.

Attending this job fair was the best experience! I highly recommend attending one if you are interested in teaching in Alaska. I know that I am headed for Alaska, its just a matter of where in Alaska am I going to end up :)

Good luck to you all,

Jen
jen_sargent679

Re: Big thank you to CHICK!

Postby Planetwalker » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:54 pm

I met Jen and her partner at the Minneapolis Fair. The school that they land in will be very lucky indeed.

I was also surprised to get a few nods from some great Superintendents as well.
I had intentions to just talk and find out more information, but now I might find myself up there sooner than later.
Everyone was so kind in discussion about their expectations.
Thank you ATP for setting this up.
AND a big shout out to CHICK for his gracious contribution. I owe you dinner pal.

I'll be seeing you folks up north. ;)

Amy
Changes come from the Power of Many, but only when the many come together to form that which is invincible. The Power of One. - Bryce Courtenay
Planetwalker

Return to ATP Forum