Special Education Endorsement

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Special Education Endorsement

Postby brittneycloyd » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:57 am

I am wondering if anyone has experience earning a special education endorsement online? I am hoping to teach in Alaska next year while taking courses to add a special ed endorsement.

I have already been turned away from three graduate schools, either because I am "overqualified" for the program (I'm already special ed certified in another state, although I did not take special ed coursework) or because the grad program doesn't lead to licensure. So now I'm at a loss for where to look for a university that will help me get licensed. If you've been through this before, please let me know of online programs I might try. Thanks!
brittneycloyd

Re: Special Education Endorsement

Postby Johncn » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:17 am

Hi,

I'm not an expert on the online certification options, but I do know there are at least two in the University of Alaska system designed for post-baccalaureate endorsements for teachers who already are certified or working in other subject areas. Both are online. One is from the UAF (Fairbanks) main campus, while the other is from the UAS (Juneau) campus:

https://www.alaska.edu/distance/programs.html

It's quite possible that these may be less expensive once you attain Alaska residency, but you probably would want to talk the program contacts highlighted above.

There is also a program from the UAA (Anchorage) campus. I thought this was distance delivered, but it's not clear to me on the program description page:

http://www.uaa.alaska.edu/coe/degrees/graduatecertificates/specialeducation.cfm

The handbook says that program delivery is through distance technologies:

To be sure, I'd contact the professor or her admin assistant:

Hope this helps,

John
Johncn

Postby Bushteachers » Sun May 10, 2015 9:29 pm

brittneycloyd wrote:I am wondering if anyone has experience earning a special education endorsement online? I am hoping to teach in Alaska next year while taking courses to add a special ed endorsement.

I have already been turned away from three graduate schools, either because I am "overqualified" for the program (I'm already special ed certified in another state, although I did not take special ed coursework) or because the grad program doesn't lead to licensure. So now I'm at a loss for where to look for a university that will help me get licensed. If you've been through this before, please let me know of online programs I might try. Thanks!

I'm doing UAF's sped endorsement. I'm certified in another state as well.
Bushteachers

Postby lpetersen1 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:41 am

I earned my MS SpEd Teaching online through Capella University (Minneapolis, MN) after already having a SpEd endorsement in Idaho. I know it's possible to do what you are asking. Best of luck on your pursuit.
Lee
Lpetersen1
lpetersen1

Return to ATP Forum