General Questions

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

General Questions

Postby dgmayner » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:57 am

Do you need to apply to be Alaska Teacher Certified before you go to a job fair?
dgmayner

Re: General Questions

Postby Toni McFadden » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:12 am

You do not need to be Alaska certified to go to job fairs and to apply for jobs. However, school districts do want to see that you are serious and in the process of getting your certification. The sooner you get the process started the better.

School districts do review applicants before the job fair. It does give them a good idea of who is looking at their district and who is available. The sooner you register, the more opportunity districts have to review your information. You can register for job fair easily, on line...do it now! ;)
Toni McFadden

Average costs of living in Rural Alaska

Postby Planetwalker » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:45 pm

Question: Does ATP have a LinkedIn account?
Changes come from the Power of Many, but only when the many come together to form that which is invincible. The Power of One. - Bryce Courtenay
Planetwalker

Postby ATP_admin » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:11 pm

dgmayner wrote:Do you need to apply to be Alaska Teacher Certified before you go to a job fair?

Hi,

No, you do not need to be certified (licensed) in Alaska until you start work. However, you should enter your information, resume, cover letter and so on in the ATP Applitrack system prior to the Job Fair. You must be registered for the ATP Job Fair, and it's better if you do that ahead of the Job Fair. If you don't, our volunteers or staff will make you fill out the forms prior to entering the event.

http://www.alaskateacher.org/atp_jf_candidates.html

Regards,

ATP Staff
ATP_admin
Site Admin

Postby ATP_admin » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:14 pm

Planetwalker wrote:Question: Does ATP have a LinkedIn account?

No, Alaska Teacher Placement their main website that this forum is a part of, and a Facebook account:

https://www.facebook.com/AlaskaTeacher?ref=profile

Regards,

ATP Staff
ATP_admin
Site Admin

Postby brittneycloyd » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:53 pm

Do I need to do anything to get my references in contact with the school districts? I added my references' contact info to my Applitrack account, but I wasn't sure if I should give them a reference form to fill out or ask them to email a recommendation to the principals.
brittneycloyd

Postby Johncn » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:58 am

Brittney,

The Applitrack system allows you to enter reference information that districts can see, and also to upload letters of reference. Some districts also have reference forms or surveys that are required for their positions. Each district is a little different in what they look for in terms of checking references, but I usually advise candidates to make sure the contacts they list for references are reachable at off business hours, and to list multiple ways to contact them (work phone, cell or home phone, email...etc.).

The districts I've worked for don't want your references contacting THEM...they will reach out to check your references if you are a finalist for a position. We always want to talk to references ourselves, and don't take letters all that seriously. We also need three positive professional references - those who are familiar with a candidate's work in the classroom from a supervisory or administrative role - before we can offer a contract. Personal references (peers, family friend, minister, scout leader, famous public figures, etc.) are not relevant in our minds, and we don't count them. This is especially important if you are going to an ATP Job Fair - take weekend contact information with you, as most districts will be calling your references during the job fair if they are interested in you.

I can't speak for all districts, of course, so if the one you are applying for has different information in their application materials, I'd recommend you follow it.

Hope this helps,

Johncn
Johncn

Postby brittneycloyd » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:59 am

Johncn wrote:Brittney,

The Applitrack system allows you to enter reference information that districts can see, and also to upload letters of reference. Some districts also have reference forms or surveys that are required for their positions. Each district is a little different in what they look for in terms of checking references, but I usually advise candidates to make sure the contacts they list for references are reachable at off business hours, and to list multiple ways to contact them (work phone, cell or home phone, email...etc.).

The districts I've worked for don't want your references contacting THEM...they will reach out to check your references if you are a finalist for a position. We always want to talk to references ourselves, and don't take letters all that seriously. We also need three positive professional references - those who are familiar with a candidate's work in the classroom from a supervisory or administrative role - before we can offer a contract. Personal references (peers, family friend, minister, scout leader, famous public figures, etc.) are not relevant in our minds, and we don't count them. This is especially important if you are going to an ATP Job Fair - take weekend contact information with you, as most districts will be calling your references during the job fair if they are interested in you.

I can't speak for all districts, of course, so if the one you are applying for has different information in their application materials, I'd recommend you follow it.

Hope this helps,

Johncn

Thanks so much for your thorough reply! I will work on this in preparation for the Anchorage Job Fair.
brittneycloyd

Contacting School Districts

Postby Dlouis3 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:42 pm

Hello!
I have just submitted my application to ATP, and was encouraged to express further interest to the school districts in which I was particularly interested. I was just wondering who exactly I should contact? Would it be appropriate to email the superintendent? Or should I email somebody else entirely? Thanks!
Dlouis3

Re: Contacting School Districts

Postby Johncn » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:15 pm

Dlouis3 wrote:Hello!
I have just submitted my application to ATP, and was encouraged to express further interest to the school districts in which I was particularly interested. I was just wondering who exactly I should contact? Would it be appropriate to email the superintendent? Or should I email somebody else entirely? Thanks!

Hi,

It really depends on the district, and that can vary from year -to-year, too. ;-) I'd recommend you check the district website for clues. You will want to email / contact the HR director if you are really interested. Superintendents may be a good contact in smaller to medium size district, but will likely be swamped with email, and delegating in larger districts. But...you never know!

I would poke around the website and make some guesses if you are serious. Be polite and professional, and try to get someone's attention if you are sure the district is for you.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby Planetwalker » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:00 am

Hello,
I have every intention to make the Minneapolis Job Fair.

However, I may not get my ATP application finished. As a matter of fact, I am running out of time to finish the application from the time I began 25 days ago. What will happen if my application time runs out on this website? Can you check to see how many days I have left of activity?

Thank you for checking into this.
Sincerely,
Amy Graham
aka. Planetwalker
Changes come from the Power of Many, but only when the many come together to form that which is invincible. The Power of One. - Bryce Courtenay
Planetwalker

Postby Betty Walters » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:47 pm

Amy,

School district administrators are looking at applications on line before the job fairs. It would be prudent to fill out the material as soon as possible.

It will be important to have your information in the ATP system if you are serious about securing interviews for a position in Alaska.

Betty Walters
Betty Walters

Postby Planetwalker » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:12 pm

National Background Check: There is an empty space. Should i be concerned about that? I have no concerns about going through a check, but on the applitrack form, it is blank....just wondering.

Also, Thank you for your responses. I am working diligently to complete this wonderful form. I am hoping to get it completed asap.
Planetwalker

Postby Johncn » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:41 pm

Planetwalker wrote:National Background Check: There is an empty space. Should i be concerned about that? I have no concerns about going through a check, but on the applitrack form, it is blank....just wondering.

Hi,

It depends on what job / district you are applying to when you see it. It sounds like a mistake by a district. If it's blank, they may have created the page, but not activated the resources that need to be displayed. I'd send it to atp@teachers4schools.com, with the information about the specific job this is related to, and they'll check it out and respond.

Regarding the application completion, different districts search for candidates using Applitrack in different ways. When I search, for instance, I "uncheck" the default indicator for searching only "completed" applications. The reason I do, is that our district does not really use the application form itself. We're mostly looking for the candidate's resume, cover letter, references and work history. Any combination of those could trigger our interest, and get us to contact a candidate. We do not limit our search to those who have completed the application, or only look at candidates who have applied to our specific positions. Those actually hired have to then fill out our form anyway. ;-)

Other districts may have completely different outlooks on this topic, so take my method with a grain of proverbial salt. If you can "finish" the application, great. But, districts are still going to be interested in meeting you, looking at your resume, and other information. It is nice to be able to tell districts you meet that your entire file with scanned letters, reference contacts and surveys, etc. is available at the ATP site. It's not a deal killer for many district if you are "mostly" done or partly completed....IMHO.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Re: General Questions - transcripts

Postby Planetwalker » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:05 am

Hello again good people of the ATP Ethernet!
I am working very hard at completing my application. However, as I finish up my final semester here at UWRF, I am also in the middle of creating the best first grade unit ever, and looking for other jobs around town for the summer. On top of that, i am retaking my PRAXIS II next Tuesday, along with booking my dear old Irish Folk singer friend from Ireland, at several establishments around town. I am in a rush! It's fun though. "Work hard, play hard" is my motto.

I really want to be apart of your live chats, however, I have a night class at that time (School in Society).

The Transcript question that I have is this: I need to purchase a transcript from my school, however, the UWRF website is telling me that "PDF transcript e-mails must be sent directly to the intended recipient to be considered official." If i email the transcript to myself, it will become unofficial. Where can i send this transcript?
Or, can i just copy and paste the transcript (without purchasing it) onto a .pdf and attach it into the ATP application? What is acceptable for you?

Thanks for your timely response.
Planetwalker aka. Amy Graham - River Falls, WI
Planetwalker

Postby Johncn » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:21 am

Hi,

You sound like a happily busy person. ;-) The ATP Applitrack does not require "official transcripts" like you provide once hired. A PDF sent to you is totally acceptable, and can be uploaded to the Transcript section of your application pages.

Hope this helps,

John
Johncn

Postby Planetwalker » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:33 am

Very helpful indeed John, thank you much.
~Planet~
Planetwalker

Postby Dlouis3 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:44 pm

On more of a personal curiosity note, what is the average cost of living in rural Alaska? I understand that it varies from location to location, but what is the average cost of rent and utilities in a rural Alaskan village?

-Dylan Louis
Dlouis3

Return to ATP Forum