Kansas Teacher looking to relocate

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Kansas Teacher looking to relocate

Postby usd259ahogan » Thu May 09, 2019 10:39 am

Kansas Teacher looking to relocate:
Hey all,
I remember speaking to a couple representatives at a job fair located at my university in the Spring of 2018 and I'm having trouble locating all the information I need to get the process rolling along.
My interests were in the remote areas with what I think was the Northwest Arctic school districts.
If there is any contact info that someone could pass along to help me find what I'm looking for that would be fantastic.
Thank you for your time,
Andrew Hogan
usd259ahogan

Re: Kansas Teacher looking to relocate

Postby jamieburgess » Thu May 09, 2019 8:50 pm

Hi Andrew -

If you're looking for open positions, go to the ATP Job Postings Page, choose Jobs by District, then you can see what Northwest Arctic has open. I'm the superintendent in Nome and we're looking for Elementary Teachers if you're interested in coming just a little farther southwest than Kotzebue.
jamieburgess

Postby usd259ahogan » Fri May 10, 2019 10:11 am

Thank you! I was able to figure it out eventually and put in some applications. Now I'm at the point where I need to reach out to the places I applied according to the automatic email I received.
usd259ahogan

Postby Johncn » Sat May 11, 2019 5:34 am

Andrew,

One of the things that is important at this time of year is that once you have narrowed down your searches a bit, start reaching out regularly to the HR contacts for those districts. Each HR team uses the Applitrack system a little differently. Some may not reach out to you...be proactive, and politely and consistently let them know you are interested and know a bit about their district by email, phone or carrier pigeon. HR staff are SWAMPED right now with the end of one school year, the departure of some staff, and the burden of managing tons of contacts from potential job candidates. :D

Another thing I often recommend to those considering Alaska jobs for the first time is to have a starter list of districts and types of jobs, but be open minded about opportunities you may not have considered and/or districts you don't know much about. Don't be afraid to at least talk to districts about their jobs and ask good questions. But, sometimes you may have incorrect perceptions from afar, so keep a positive and inquisitive attitude.

Good luck in your search, and feel free to use this forum to get your questions answered. Many, many current Alaska educators initially started their Alaska job searches on this very website in years past. ;-)

Regards,

John
Johncn

Return to ATP Forum