Anchorage Job Fair

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

Anchorage Job Fair

Postby tkinder07 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:14 pm

I am in the process of reserving a flight for the Anchorage Job Fair. I'm planning on arriving on Wednesday to look around a bit and then be there for the Early Registration on Thursday. My question is, should I plan on attending all day Friday AND Saturday? I'm trying to decide if I should fly back on Saturday (most flights leave in the morning) or if I should fly back on Sunday. The problem with Sunday is it puts be back home around midnight and I need to teach the following Monday. I'm sure I will be exhausted from the travel and excitement of the job fair. However, I don't want to miss out on a potential opportunity.

Thanks so much!
tkinder07

Re: Anchorage Job Fair

Postby Johncn » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:27 am

Hello,

I think it is great when candidates arrive the day before the event and mingle / explore on the Thursday before, so that part of your plan is solid. It is, in my opinion, important to attend both Friday and Saturday sessions of the Anchorage Job Fair for a couple of reasons.

Friday is the busiest day for initial interviews and background checks (make sure your references are reachable by phone, and remember that Alaska is 4 hours behind Eastern Time, so cell contacts would be best rather than schools or office numbers that may not be reachable when districts are trying. Saturday morning is busiest day for contract offers and follow up / second interviews. Frequently, the very best candidates get multiple job offers, but obviously can only accept one. That means that districts often don't sign their first choice, and changes to their list of top candidates can rapidly change as jobs are offered and/or accepted.

That said, the ANC Job Fair on Saturday ends at noon, so you may be able to get a flight late in the day or the evening. As long-time Alaska flyers, we nearly always took evening flights flying East, and sleep on the plane. The Anchorage airport has MORE flights out late at night than during the day due to the way air routes and plane availability are done. Most Lower 48 airports are ghost towns at night, but ANC is a bustling mini city from 9 PM until 3 or 4 AM. ;-)

Regards,

John
Johncn

Return to ATP Forum