Elementary Jobs in Palmer Alaska area

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

Elementary Jobs in Palmer Alaska area

Postby tkinder07 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:39 pm

Hello,

I am interested in an elementary teaching position in the Matanuska-Susitna School District. I understand that schools on the road system may attract more applicants and therefore it may be harder to find a position. Is this true? Do I need to attend the Anchorage Job Fair to interview with that district or do they ever attend the Portland Job Fair.

Thanks so much!
tkinder07

Re: Elementary Jobs in Palmer Alaska area

Postby Johncn » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:10 am

Hello,

I see that you have expressed an interest in a specific district.

First of all, although Mat Su is a great place to work and live, I always advise candidates to keep their options and opinions open on landing spots, and to focus on their job search with an open mind. it's great that you have one potential location that you feel good about, but do yourself a favor and spend some time learning about other areas, too. :P

Mat Su usually attends the Anchorage Job Fair, but participation at the Lower 48 ones is harder to predict. Mat Su often has a separate screening interview area set up in the Captain Cook. Depending on the job demand and/or budget cycle in a given year, Mat Su may or may not be offering contracts for high needs positions, but gathering an applicant pool of screened candidates for others. No district is guaranteed to attend for 2019 yet, as district (rather than candidate) registration begins in January. I am speaking from past events only.

In general, the Anchorage ATP Job Fair is the biggest and best alternative for most candidates because it will have the highest number of teaching and school admin jobs (hundreds) and employers (45+ typically) in Alaska. The widest selection of jobs, and the most opportunities to meet district representatives in person, and often the school board members and community members from those districts.

Also, because it not compressed into a few hours on a single day, you can make a lasting impression at this fair, spend quality time interacting with different districts, and getting a feel for their organizational culture.

The other job fairs are good if you can't attend the Anchorage one, but please come after having done some additional research, and getting a hit list of other possible landing spots in mind. And, keep an open mind with districts / communities you may never have heard of or considered...but know the basics about the regions and the climates of each area of the state by using the main ATP website and other sources:

http://www.alaskateacher.org/about_alaska.php

This forum is a great place to research, too, and although it is the slowest time of year for ATP Forum participation, it should start picking up as the fall progresses.

Hope this helps,

John
Johncn

Return to ATP Forum