Anyone heard of this?

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

Anyone heard of this?

Postby macuser64 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:31 am

Hello,

First off, I mean absolutely no offense to anyone, I am asking for information about a review that I read on a site called "Glassdoor" because I'm trying to make the most-informed decision possible.

That having been said, I've been offered a position at North Slope and read a review from a "contracted teacher" who stated,

"Money that teachers should be paid is never paid without a major issue being raised. Teachers are hired with a stated contract amount, but when they report to work, a salary adjustment is made on their contract, and they are paid less."

So, while this seems suspect to me because a contract is a legal document, I find myself concerned nonetheless.

Any input is greatly appreciated and thank you for your time.

P.S. this link to this review is: https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/North-Slope-Borough-School-District-Reviews-E1085446.htm
macuser64

Re: Anyone heard of this?

Postby Johncn » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:37 pm

Hi,

The link you provided is a fairly obvious fake by a "contractor". Uh...that is not the correct terminology. Teachers never refer to themselves as "contractors" in my experience. Technically, yes, teachers work under a contract for one year.

Here is another small example:

Pay teachers better, pay classified better.

North Slope has the highest teacher (and classified) pay scale in Alaska. Probably one of the very highest in the entire nation.

And:

Teachers are hired with a stated contract amount, but when they report to work, a salary adjustment is made on their contract, and they are paid less.

Placement on the salary scale is also most determined by statute - i.e. number of years of prior service credit allowed for teachers new to the state, etc. - and is done by the HR department upon evaluation of teacher credentials. There is not a great of deal of "adjustment" that can be made, as the union contract specifies the pay based on number of years experience (up to the maximum allowed for Bachelor's / Master's / + X credit hours on transcripts). It's pretty clear formula.

Here is another example:

Begin late hire teachers their tenure the day they are hired.

In all Alaska school districts teacher tenure is governed by the state, not by school districts. Tenure is acquired by a very specific formula, and is "portable" in some instances. All of this is determined by the Alaska Statutes, and districts can't have their own policies or provisions for providing tenure rights. Bzzzzzz. Thanks for playing.

AS 14.20.150. Acquisition and Reacquisition of Tenure Rights.
http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/Statutes/Title14/Chapter20/Section150.htm

Money that teachers should be paid is never paid without a major issue being raised.

All districts in Alaska have negotiated agreements with their teacher's union that determine pay and benefits. They have a bargaining unit, and the latest contract was just last fall. District business offices simply direct deposits (in most cases) all teacher salaries in 12 monthly (or in some cases 9 equal) installments. Works like clockwork once you set it up at new teacher in-service. ;-)

Here is the NSBSD Negotiated Agreement download page, with salary and benefit facts and logistics:

https://www.nsbsd.org/Page/4242

This is not an endorsement of NSBSD itself, so much, as me just letting you know how it is with teacher salaries and district business offices. I'm pretty sure that the "contractor" in question was not likely an actual employee writing about the district....in my opinion.

Hope this helps,

John
Johncn

Postby macuser64 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:00 pm

John,

Thank you, so much, for all the wonderful information. When I happened upon this particular website, it just seemed weird to me and I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else had heard this type of "information". As a teacher, I haven't ever referred to myself as a "contractor". Ha Ha!

Thank you again for the input! I really appreciate you taking the time to share what you know.
macuser64

Postby llnoe » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:25 am

Excellent explanation once again John.

I saw this review as well and at first it did sway my decision on districts a bit. However, it's one person's "faulty" opinion and it does sound fake.

One thing that seems universal that all us can keep in mind is that there are rules/laws that keep students safe. Districts would go out of business and irreparably harm their students if they did things that ran off the teachers. Districts are trying to keep us and they care about the students.

On a positive note, I'm happy with my new assignment to Northwest Arctic and everything has been very transparent and accommodating.
llnoe

Return to ATP Forum