transporting very large dog- help!

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

transporting very large dog- help!

Postby meowmi » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:39 am

Hi,
I have a 142 pound dog who requires a crate too large for Alaska Air to fly him, even as cargo. I need suggestions on how to get him to Dillingham at the end of the summer.
For additional information, my husband, tw.o teenage boys, our beagle and 2 cats are making the trip as well
Thanks for any suggestions!
meowmi

Re: transporting very large dog- help!

Postby Johncn » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:53 pm

Hi,

I would not give up hope. How do you KNOW that the dog is too big? Is it the measurements of the air kennel? We had Newfoundland dogs for many years in rural Alaska (150-160 pounds? Series 500 or 700 air kennel), including while living in Southwest Alaska, and managed to get them around on Pen Air...although at one point they started charging us air cargo rates. We also used Alaska Air, but they did not fly to the Aleutians when we were there.

Alaska Airlines is very dog friendly, though, so showing up with a dog in an air kennel, and all the appropriate vet certs would likely be enough. The airline counter staff MAY just pass your kenneled do on through at the "pet fee" rate. Although I have seen this happen, however, I have not done so for years, so hopefully someone else will chime in with more recent advice. I would NOT take my word for it without having a Plan B in case the dog was rejected at the airport.

Finally, if Alaska Air really won't take the dog, where are you coming from? Anchorage? There are freight services that haul all manner of things to Dillingham. Your district should be able to tell you who the most competitive freight companies are for DLG.

Hope this helps, but tell us more, and perhaps someone will know how to assist you better.

Here is a list of the dimensions of most "standard" air kennels (manufacturers sizes may vary a bit):

Small (100 series) – 21″x16″x15″
Medium (200 series) – 27″x20″x19″
Intermediate (300 series) – 32″x22″x23″
Large (400 series) 36″x24″x26″
Extra large (500 series) – 40″x27″x30″
Giant (700 series) – 48″x32″x35″

John
Johncn

Re: transporting very large dog- help!

Postby meowmi » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:27 am

We are coming from Colorado. He requires the giant kennel due to his height and length. Alaska Air will take a kennel with a max height of 34" and max weight of 150 for kennel and pet combined. I called to verify, since I don't want to risk them turning us away.
I think we have a plan though. We're thinking we're going to drive to Anchorage and charter a plane to our village, instead of coordinating our flight with trying to ship him cargo.
meowmi

Return to ATP Forum