Life in Fairbanks?

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

Life in Fairbanks?

Postby AKteacher86 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:38 am

I currently teach in SW Alaska and am interested in finally landing on the road system. We have spent approximately 4 years in the bush and we're definitely ready for civilization. Initially, we thought Anchorage would be for us, but we now feel that Fairbanks would offer a more unique chapter to our Alaskan story.

I wanted to see if anybody had any specific insight on the city of Fairbanks. We have only spent a few nights there and I know little of the city (other than the extreme temp swings). I'm specifically interested in: housing, hiking, accessibility to produce (the simple things), air quality, entertainment, and of course the school district. Any information about the city, borough, or anything else would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
AKteacher86

Re: Life in Fairbanks?

Postby SassySunshine » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:47 am

I lived in Fairbanks MANY years ago, so I hesitate to reply.
When I lived in Fairbanks, there was always plenty of entertainment! Movie theaters, comedians brought up from the lower 48 to a comedy club, lots of shopping choices, produce available (you can grow some crazy huge veggies in the summer), two small malls, lots of cultural events including ice sculpting. Air quality was not fabulous and we had some incredible ice fog that would shut the schools down due to bussing issues. The temps were extreme, but manageable. Rental housing is abundant right now. I think having the military installation there helps with housing and entertainment.
I hope that helps a little...
SassySunshine

Return to ATP Forum