ATP Summer Job Fair Announced

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

ATP Summer Job Fair Announced

Postby Johncn » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:20 pm

ATP Anchorage Job Fair in July!

As always, Alaska-focused Job Fairs were held by ATP in March, April and May, 2017. For the first time in many years, however, Alaska Teacher Placement is having a Summer Job Fair!

Are you a certified teacher in Alaska or another state or territory who wants to work in Alaska for the coming school year? If so, come meet district hiring staff at a special recruiting event in beautiful Anchorage, Alaska!

This job fair is perfect for new or experienced teachers who can potentially make a move to a new district for an August start date. Registration is now open at the link above, or directly here:

ATP Summer 2017 Job Fair Registration
http://www.alaskateacher.org/atp_jf_candidates.html

Details:
Anchorage, Alaska - Saturday, July 15, 2017
1:00 - 6:00 PM
UAA Gorsuch Commons
3700 Sharon Gagnon Lane, Room 106
Anchorage, Alaska

Because hotels in Anchorage can be fairly expensive during the peak of the summer travel season, we recommend that candidates traveling for this fair consider UAA's Residence Hall Lodging program. This is also the campus where the July 15 event will be held, so should be very convenient!

Whether a student, or a member of the general public, there is an online reservation form that will allow to rent a UAA residence hall room or suite at a reasonable rate - on a first come, first served basis. If considering this option, you should reserve soon

[img]atp_summer_housing_combo.jpg[/img]

Reservation Form:
https://www.uaa.alaska.edu/about/administrative-services/departments/business-services/conferences-services/guesthousing/short-term-reservation-form.cshtml

If you are still looking for a position, please make sure you register for this free job fair online. If you have a job, or are no longer interested in teaching in Alaska, please use the following link to remove yourself from these mailings.

ATP Applitrack Account Deactivation Form
http://www.alaskateacher.org/atp_deactivation.html

Regards,

John
Johncn

Re: ATP Summer Job Fair Announced

Postby ncnatefr » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:07 am

Hi John,

Can you share a list of schools/districts which will be recruiting at the fair? I'm currently in Vermont, so I'd like to have a sense of what to expect if I attend the fair.

Nate Freeman
ncnatefr

Re: ATP Summer Job Fair Announced

Postby Johncn » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:49 am

Hi Nate,

No, at this time I have no idea. I suspect that Toni (ATP Manager) will post something as the fair draws nearer.

Part of the problem with venturing as guess is that It's too "new" an idea to have a firm sense of district participation / need. There has not been an ATP Summer Job Fair since perhaps the mid 1980s. They used to be held in Fairbanks in July.

Districts WILL be trying to fill positions between now and then, and won't "wait" to fill positions. But, many of the DO staff are on vacation now, so district hiring efforts for the rest of June and early July are likely to be a bit scattershot. However, I'm quite certain that districts that have openings as the July 15 date approaches will be VERY motivated to attend and hire staff. New teachers typically report the first or second week of August in Alaska.

Hope this helps,

John
Johncn

Return to ATP Forum