New teacher from Alaska

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

New teacher from Alaska

Postby bkjanet4 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:12 am

My situation is quite unique so I thought I would start here. I just graduated from the University of Alaska Fairbanks Elementary Education program. I have lived in Alaska for over 20 years and currently live with my family in North Pole, Alaska. I am African American and my spouse is Alaska Native (from the village of Allakaket). We have two teenage sons aged 17 and 13. I am interested in teaching in the bush, but I am not sure what districts could accommodate a family of four. How do I find out this information and where do I start? I have already put my application and resume on the ATP website. I applied for my AK license and waiting for it to be processed. Should I post somewhere on my application, my family situation, or should I contact districts directly?

Side note: excuse my grammar mistakes I was typing this on my iPhone
bkjanet4

Re: New teacher from Alaska

Postby Johncn » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:33 pm

Welcome to the ATP Forum.

As you may have read elsewhere on the forum, or main ATP website, we recommend researching the districts in general, and then following up your completed application with multiple contacts (email, resume, phone call, etc.) to the districts you are most interested in. At this time of year, the districts with openings will be very glad to hear from well qualified applicants. Often, openings that happen in June or July are unexpected, or may be due to a change in someone's plans.

As far as your rather unique circumstances, that is perfect content for an introductory email or cover letter. Just stating your husband is from rural Alaska and you have two teen children is plenty of info for most districts to realize that you will need adequate housing.

There is also an ATP Summer Job Fair ON July 15th in Anchorage at the USA campus. If you are still available at that point, you should NOT miss it. Details and registration form information here:

ATP Website
http://www.alaskateacher.org

Hope this helps,

John
Johncn

Re: New teacher from Alaska

Postby bkjanet4 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:05 am

Thank you so much for the information. I am thinking about visiting the summer job fair to see what options are available.
bkjanet4

Return to ATP Forum