Dogs in the North Slope

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

Dogs in the North Slope

Postby Sonjalm » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:49 pm

Hello...my big dog and I are going to Barrow this year and I'm wondering about walking him to potty in the brutal cold. He's an English Pointer, so short hair. I don't want him to get frost bite. Any info on this will be super helpful. Thanks!
Sonjalm

Re: Dogs in the North Slope

Postby Johncn » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:58 pm

Hello,

It sounds like an indoor dog, but just outdoors for exercise and bathroom breaks. Although we had Newfoundlands (big dogs with thicker fur), we know lots of teachers in the Arctic and Bering Sea region with all sorts of dogs. Dogs are not as picky about air temps as their owners. He'll be fine, unless you keep him out for extended periods at the coldest time of year. If allowed outside regularly, he will likely grow a somewhat heavier coat in response to conditions. And, if he's unhappy with the temperature, he'll learn to be fairly quick about his business. ;-)

ou'll want dog booties to keep the ice balls out from between his toes (like sled dogs wear). Also, there are doggie jackets and sweaters that will add a layer if you think it's needed.

You should also check with North Slope staff and see if they can put you in touch with a couple of dog owners on staff for tips.

Hope this helps, but I am not a dog expert....just a former dog owner in the Great White North. I'm sure there are lots of current cold climate dog owners with advice who may pitch in.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Return to ATP Forum