Page 1 of 1

New teacher

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:58 pm
by mlfisher
I am in an alternative teaching program in Texas and have what they call the provisional/probationary certificate. Now I just need to find my first teaching job and teach for a year to have the actual teaching certificate. Teaching in Bush Alaska sounds very interesting. Is it feasible for a brand new teacher to teach out in Bush Alaska or should I have some experience as a teacher first?

Re: New teacher

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:31 am
by Toni McFadden
You will need to teach in Texas for the first year and obtain your Texas teaching license before you will be able to apply for you Alaska teaching license. Once you do that, you will be able apply for Alaska teaching jobs. Rural districts often have supports for new teachers, culture camps, mentors, professional development, etc., make sure you ask and go with a district that you feel will support you and your growth as a teacher. Best wishes