Yupiit SD-Tuluksak

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

Yupiit SD-Tuluksak

Postby kazachka » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:49 pm

Wow! I'm going to be in for a change, but I've done my homework. I found out I'm likely going to be a victim of budget cuts next year. I'm on the road system in a big 5 now, but cannot survive on less than full time as the cost of living is high. My heat alone can run upwards of 500$ in winter. Not wanting to leave Alaska, I decided to hit the road and drive to the job fair over the weekend. After seeing what was out there, I saw that there was an opening in Tuluksak. There was a very good 4 part video on that school on this forum 3 years ago. It painted a very realistic picture of things. Most of the feedback I've gotten from other teachers has been positive. I do know there was an incident in a nearby village that made the ADN a couple years ago. (I said I did my homework) Therefore,my better half will probably be joining me for at least part of the school year -he's still not a US resident yet.....he is the only one who can train with me and I will run through the winter regardless of temperature probably much like I did years ago in Fairbanks-just dress accordingly. Anyhow, any additional feedback is appreciated. I need to start shipping stuff out soon and looking for a place to store my car in Anchorage and the stuff I won't ship out initially. Cost of getting out full totes say 40-50 lbs?
kazachka

Re: Yupiit SD-Tuluksak

Postby Bushteachers » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:33 pm

When do you plan on arriving? I personally wouldn't send totes until it was much closer to my arrival date. I had a bag go to that village once. Thankfully my handgun was returned, but a lot of the other stuff wasn't. Lol

Anyways, the heavier the tote, the better deal you get. We were shipping 60 lb totes via parcel post and they were costing us about $30 a tote, which included insurance. The totes took about 5 days to arrive. Of course we weren't shipping to your village, but to and from a village in western Alaska as well as southwestern Alaska.
Bushteachers

Postby kazachka » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:11 am

I'd ship early mid June or late July before I head out there. I need to go out mid June til closer to when school starts-so crap needs to go to storage now, but I'd rather not be shipping a few days before I head out in a mad rush. It would be mostly clothes but , yes, I dare not ship my winter gear til I go and stuff like my 3 fur Eskimo parkas for butt cold weather I may just take with me out there on the plane...wear em LOL. I thought of that actually...possible postal "issues" and don't want to ship the furs out too early -store at friends (not even storage) in Anchorage and collect at the end of summer. I lived in those parkas in Fairbanks. I was going to order 30 gallon totes from Walmart. What's best? 5 days? That's fast. I expected way slower. Good to know handguns can be shipped :)
kazachka

Postby Bushteachers » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:48 am

Handgun wasn't shipped. They can't be. That was a Ravn Alaska snafu.
18 gallon totes are the "best" size IMO. If it's just clothes then a bigger one might be ok, but we stay away from anything larger than 18 for weight issues.

Handgun will have to be carried and checked with your airline. It can go in anchecked bag. Has to be in a hard case and locked and unloaded.

I laugh about my handgun issue now. All the food and the four bottles of beer were taken. As well as my wool hat and gloves. Nice down jacket and gun and ammo were returned. Lol
Bushteachers

Postby Bushteachers » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:56 am

Let me change the handgun statement. In order to ship a handgun it has to go from a FFL to a FFL.
Rifles and shotguns can be mailed from yourself to yourself but not ammo.
Bushteachers

Return to ATP Forum