Teachers Cert Question

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

Teachers Cert Question

Postby kphelps » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:11 pm

Hello!

I realize that for the most accurate answers on getting my teaching certificate you guys have recommended we contact the Alaska EED directly. :-) That being said, I have read some posts in which some candidates have already applied for their certificate and received their "yellow card". My question is whether that is absolutely necessary or would make a difference in the application process towards getting an offer. I am researching and hoping for a teaching position for this next year. However, because my husband and family will be moving with me, I know that not all areas would be a good match for us. It has to be an area large enough to have jobs for my husband, and to be perfectly honest, I want it to be someplace my kids would want to live. That basically rules out all bush villages and really rural remote areas. Naturally, I know my chances are less than someone who is willing/able to go anywhere.

I am certified in WA state and have a job in a district I love right now. I would only make the move with a contract in place. I am questioning whether I should go ahead and apply for the certificate, or save the $260 and do it if and only after I am awarded a contract. But now I am worried I may have shot myself in the foot for my chances.

I would appreciate any and all advice! Thank you!

~Katy
kphelps

Re: Teachers Cert Question

Postby Bushteachers » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:05 pm

I'd recommend getting it before you start interviewing or at least have the paperwork completed.

Just a head's up, if your state allows you to exempt praxis 1, you will need to take it for AK.
Bushteachers

Postby Johncn » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:07 am

Hi Katy,

This is a good question. There is no doubt that as someone who is interested in a job on the Alaska road system, you would be wise to get your application in and have your "yellow card" in place. This is good advice for anyone looking to increase their attractiveness to Alaska districts, but is not "required" prior to applying for jobs and contacting districts.

However, making yourself a viable, easy-to-certify candidate will get increasingly important as the season moves forward. Many of the largest road system districts (Kenai, Anchorage, Mat Su, Juneau, Fairbanks) tend to post more jobs later in the season than earlier (May, June, July, etc.). That means you would be a very attractive candidate when that flurry of late jobs comes if you have your Yellow Card or your certificate in hand. That doesn't mean that these districts only post jobs late, as some jobs will be open now, too. They typically have more complicated budget cycles that make formalizing positions happen a bit slower than rural districts. Rural districts want to have their jobs all filled by end of April or early May when school lets out, and principals and some district office staff go on vacation.

As far as testing, a Basic Competency Exam is required, but this includes accepting cut scores for the Washington Praxis equivalent. You can find that out here:

Alaska Praxis / Basic Competency Exam Info:
https://www.eed.state.ak.us/TeacherCert ... raxis.html

There have also been some recent changes that require teachers new to Alaska to have taken and passed four new training modules prior to certification. Those teachers with a current and valid teaching certificate in another state seem to be exempt, for all other new hires, and renewal certificate applications received on or after June 30, 2017, the following requirements need to be met:

1) Sexual abuse awareness and prevention (AS 14.30.355)
2) Suicide awareness and prevention (AS 14.30.362)
3) Alcohol or drug related disabilities (AS 14.20.680)
4) Dating violence awareness and prevention (AS 14.30.356)

Information about these free e-training modules and the new statutes can be found here:

New Teacher Training Requirements - Alaska EED
https://education.alaska.gov/teachercer ... ining.html

So, the short answer is that yes, you should go ahead and get your certification in if you are seriously considering employment for the 2017-18 school year. :)

I'd also recommend that anyone considering moving to Alaska check out the newly update Getting Certified page on the main Alaska Teacher Placement website:

Getting Certified in Alaska - ATP's Basic Information Page
http://www.alaskateacher.org/getting_certified.php

Hope this helps,

John
Johncn

Postby kphelps » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:32 am

Thank you John and bushteacher for your replies. :-) I will take your advice and begin the process now.
~Katy
kphelps

Postby mlfisher » Sun May 07, 2017 5:45 pm

I am in an alternative teaching program in Texas and have what they call the provisional/probationary certificate. Now I just need to find my first teaching job and teach for a year to have the actual teaching certificate. Teaching in Bush Alaska sounds very interesting. Is it feasible for a brand new teacher to teach out in Bush Alaska or should I have some experience as a teacher first?
mlfisher

Postby Johncn » Sun May 07, 2017 6:53 pm

mlfisher wrote:I am in an alternative teaching program in Texas and have what they call the provisional/probationary certificate. Now I just need to find my first teaching job and teach for a year to have the actual teaching certificate.... Is it feasible for a brand new teacher to teach out in Bush Alaska or should I have some experience as a teacher first?

Hello,

Although I don't know for sure, it's likely that the Texas provisional certificate will require you to teach in that state in order to convert into a regular certificate. Alaska EED should be your first contact before you expend a ton of energy on an Alaska job search. The Alaska Teacher Certification office would probably know exactly what type of cert you have, and what your options are. Here is their contact info:

Alaska Teacher Certification - Juneau, AK:
https://www.eed.state.ak.us/TeacherCertification/

The main Alaska Teacher Placement website page on Getting Certified may also be helpful:

Getting Certified - Alaska Teacher Placement Website
http://www.alaskateacher.org/getting_certified.php

Regards,

John
Johncn

Return to ATP Forum