Housing on Annette Island

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

Housing on Annette Island

Postby oregon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:02 pm

I'm looking at an administrative job on Annette Island...I can't see if you would live in staff housing or if you would be able to rent or buy a place. I know it's partly a reservation but not sure if the whole island is and if that matters.

Also, I see some news about a new road and improved ferry service. Anyone know about this?

Any other comments or advice on this location...cuz I think it looks awesome!

Oregon.
oregon

Re: Housing on Annette Island

Postby Bushteachers » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:07 am

These would be great questions to ask Annette Island's School District.
I can provide generalizations, and not specific.

Generally speaking, all bush/remote locations will have difficulties with housing. It will be extremely limited. If I am not mistaken, Annete Island is a little different than most areas, b/c it is a reservation (Unless I am getting my location mixed).

Generally speaking it is very challenging for a non-native or even non-shareholder to purchase land/houses in some native areas. Hubs would be a better chance to buy.

One of the only downsides to where we currently live is the lack of teacher housing. IT sucks. I'll just be honest with you. Thankfully, we have a good landlord, and we do live in our community year round. We also have the option to buy, but I won't buy until I know what the school budget is going to do.

We looked at Annette Island a few years ago, and it was quickly marked off.

Contact the district and inquire. They will be your best source of information.
Last piece of advise, wait before you buy. Spend at least one year.
Bushteachers

Postby hnewhouse » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:42 pm

I applied for a teaching job on Annette Island, I believe I read somewhere that there is district owned housing. Also why was Annette quickly marked off of your list?
hnewhouse

Postby Bushteachers » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:35 pm

hnewhouse wrote:I applied for a teaching job on Annette Island, I believe I read somewhere that there is district owned housing. Also why was Annette quickly marked off of your list?

Do some research and you might be able to figure it out. There was a lawsuit against the district, and we didn't want anything to do with a place that had that type of reputation. Even though things can change.
Bushteachers

Postby oregon » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:31 am

It looks like the district was sued in 2011 for racial discrimination by six teachers. What I can't find is the outcome.
oregon

Postby hnewhouse » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:40 am

I saw that article as well... if I knew the outcome it would help. Oregon did you hear back yet after applying?
hnewhouse

Postby Bushteachers » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:39 am

Outcome didn't matter to us. Having been in the bush, drama like that can have a lasting impact. We didn't want to take chances. The bush isn't lower 48 or even road teaching.

Who knows, it could be one of the best locations in the world and there might not be any negative effects from that lawsuit. With a family, we decided we wouldn't chance it. Within our previous district there were villages that we wouldn't go to, because of the welcoming committees (sarcasm).

If I was single, I'd have taken a chance.
Bushteachers

Postby oregon » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:22 pm

hnewhouse: I haven't applied yet. I'm still researching. This is a huge move and I need to be feel confident and not rush in. I'm listening very carefully to everyone. There is a job fair here in April so I'll probably apply there. The outcome of the lawsuit is important to me. I've been teaching since 1990 and I've seen a lot of both frivolous lawsuits and legitimate ones...so I would like to know what happened. I don't want to make a gigantic move and lose my job the next year.
oregon

Postby Bushteachers » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:54 pm

No harm in applying and interviewing. You don't have to accept. The good jobs go quick and sometimes there is a job that seems terrible that really isn't. It was just terrible to that teacher that had a terrible experience.
Bushteachers

Postby hnewhouse » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:05 pm

I want to go to the job fair in Oregon but it is two days before my graduation. I am not sure what jobs are available to new graduates, but I feel like now is the time to teach in a place like Alaska. We have no debt or house to sell so timing is perfect. We are however having a baby in 30 days. I feel like Annette Island is close enough to a major city that it would be good for my wife. I have also been reading about an impressive health facility on the island. My wife is in the medical field so she could be an asset to the community as well.
hnewhouse

Postby oregon » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:28 pm

I guess that's true. I could apply. Admin interviews are a lot more involved and stressful than teacher interviews. I do not enjoy them and for principals it downright grueling...at least in my district. It goes on for months. But I may.

hnewhouse: I would encourage you to go to the job fair if at all possible. I went years ago and people were getting hired on the spot. If the district is decent they will be looking for a mix of new teachers and experienced ones as well to make a healthy balance. So don't worry about being a new graduate. Also, remember you are cheap, because you are new :) that may appeal to a district that needs to watch its budget. I agree the medical facility looked really nice, and the school was beautiful. The island is gorgeous and this is the only place that has "grabbed" my attention. I just have a good feeling about it. I also liked it's close proximity to a bigger town. If you bring everything you need for an interview you may walk away with a job. But I understand your baby might have other plans for you. :) Congratulations by the way. I'm very happy for you. What fun parents you are! Your child will have such a rich experience to remember for life.
oregon

Postby Bushteachers » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:14 am

Hnewhouse I would like to offer some caution about a new baby. We have had terrible experiences with hospitals in the bush. The "quality" of care didn't catch a ruptured appendix despite 4 trips to the emergency room in 5 days.

Find out if the hospital can deliver a baby or not. Our hospital can, but no C-sections and I believe no epidural.
We had to leave the hub a month before the baby was born, and that can quickly get expensive. Our insurance didn't pay for any of the flights or the hotel rooms.

Another thing, is that even though a large town is close by, it might not be easily accessible. Though there should be regularly scheduled ferry service.

Just do some major searching on that hospital. I know someone in the community and she travels to Seattle for her medical needs. She's been there for over 30 years.
Bushteachers

Postby hnewhouse » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:23 am

We will have the baby in about 20 days. So it will be about 3 or 4 months old by the time we moved there, if we were to get a job there. The ferry service is very frequent to Ketchikan, if I am reading the schedule correctly. It seems like it is quite the health center, birthing won't be an issue, as the baby will have been born. I read that the University of Washington will send medical students there as well. We looked up the facility and it is quite impressive. I appreciate any advice as is it all new to us, the whole process with being hired as a teacher and obviously Alaska too. I applied for an elementary position there, it sounds like quite the adventure.
hnewhouse

Postby Bushteachers » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:57 am

The SE portion of our state looks great. The ferry looks great. One day.
Bushteachers

Postby Bushteachers » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:58 am

When you interview make sure you inquire about childcare. Seriously. Unless the wife isn't working.
Bushteachers

Postby Bushteachers » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:02 am

And don't be worried about the new teacher thing. You got just as much of a chance as a veteran teacher.
Bushteachers

Return to ATP Forum