Multicultural and Alaska Studies courses?

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

Multicultural and Alaska Studies courses?

Postby tirechick » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:29 am

I am currently certified in several of the lower 48 states and would like to get certified and teach in Alaska. My hangup right now is the Multicultural and Alaska Studies courses that are required. So far, the cheapest that I have found these classes is almost $700 per credit (over $4000 total for both classes)!! My understanding is that you have 2 years to take the classes after receiving initial certification, but it looks like a person doesn't qualify for in-state tuition rates until after living in Alaska for 2 years. And, there is no guarantee that I would even get a teaching job in the first year or two of applying. Is there anywhere that offers these classes at a more reasonable price? Is it possible to extend an initial teaching certificate if I haven't taken the courses within the first 2 years of being certified?
tirechick

Re: Multicultural and Alaska Studies courses?

Postby jamieburgess » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:25 am

Many rural Alaska districts have a culture camp opportunity for new teachers, which will both introduce you to the culture of the community in which you will be serving, and in most cases is also a college course which fulfills the Multicultural Studies requirement (there will be some reading and assignments to complete). You can also access the two courses available through the Alaska Staff Development Network (ASDN) once you are hired - these are about $400-$500 apiece. They are through Alaska Pacific University, are self-paced (but must be completed within a year's time) and are distance learning.

So basically, if you have everything you need to become certified in Alaska EXCEPT these two courses, I would not worry overly much about completing these two courses. There are a lot of ways to meet these requirements within the state - most districts have some sort of pathway or assistance for teachers from outside of AK to meet these requirements. If you are desirous of fulfilling all the requirements and receiving a standard certificate prior to applying for positions, ASDN is your best bet - it will be a little more expensive if you are not yet an employee of an Alaska district, but still much less than $3-4K. The website is www.asdn.org - you can download the current catalog and look for the classes which state they fulfill the Alaska Studies or the Multicultural requirements for state certification.
jamieburgess

Re: Multicultural and Alaska Studies courses?

Postby tirechick » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:53 am

That is exactly what I was hoping for! It looks like it is only $50 more per class for me to take the classes without a sponsoring school district, so my total, including materials, will only be a little over $1000 for both classes. Thank you SO MUCH for the info!!!
tirechick

Return to ATP Forum