SISD Questions

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

SISD Questions

Postby MossLover » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:40 am

Hello!
I'm looking to relocate to Southeast Island School District (from a big5 school) and I'm looking for some first hand accounts into Thorne Bay, Naukati, and Port Alexander. I'm also looking at other schools in Southeast but haven't seen any postings as of yet. I've done a lot of research but it's always good to see different opinions and experiences. We are a family of 4. We're looking for a good, safe community environment in which to raise our children in, with a lot of outdoor activities such as hunting and fishing.

Although I have read the multigrade/multiage teaching post on the ATP website I'd also like some first hand accounts on teaching in a small school setting (20-50 students). I'm HQ in science but would be comfortable teaching other subjects too. Any and all information is appreciated. Thank you!
MossLover

Re: SISD Questions

Postby Johncn » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:51 am

Hello,

No first hand experience here, but small school, multigrade teaching in the right community is a great gig. We loved that portion of our career, and raised our kids in small schools in rural Alaska. Just not that part. ;-) Good luck, and hope others can contribute with input about those particular communities. I know for a fact that we have had active members who contributed from that district in the past. Lauren Burch (SISD Superintendent) is a member and also posts sometimes to this forum.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby jstomac » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:18 pm

So am I considering I saw the job postings on ATP
jstomac

Postby alaskantx » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:16 am

I lived for a short time on Prince of Wales Island and have been to Thorne Bay. It is a nice little community and even has a decent small grocery store. The school had opened a cafe, but that's been a couple of years ago so not sure it is still open. Nice road from there to the other side which is Craig and that is bigger area with a nice large grocery store (for outlying rural area) plus a cafe or 2... more in summer for tourist. There is another store that you would come to in Klawock which neighbors Craig by a few miles which is also a nice sized store. Both are AC stores which are common in the rural areas. I do remember that SISD has some very small schools that were only accessible by boat and some the schools were accessible by a gravel road. The road system on Prince of Wales Island is extensive and goes to many parts but of course is limited and is mainly to the larger communities. Craig has baseball teams for the kids in the spring through summer there is also a swim team there and an indoor pool. I know about Craig since that is where I lived. The island is a nice place and the folks that live there are very nice. Your children would enjoy it as it's beautiful in the summer and very rainy most of the winter. You can bring your car over from Ketchikan on the ferry and you would use the Alaska Ferry System to get to Ketchikan. I hope you find what you are looking for. SE Alaska is a very beautiful place as well.

Alaskantx
alaskantx

Return to ATP Forum