Crime Stats

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

Crime Stats

Postby oregon » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:09 pm

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the seemingly high violent crime rate in Alaska, particularly on women. I see Fairbanks....3rd in the nation....Anchorage worse...I was hoping to get around Fairbanks as a possibility. I'm female....so this is important to me.
oregon

Re: Crime Stats

Postby Johncn » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi,

Alaska is not a perfect place. There is crime, particularly in certain areas of the two main cities. Rural Alaska also has it's problems.

However, the crime stats usually cited can be misleading. Here is an editorial about how this happens.

http://www.newsminer.com/opinion/letters_to_editor/overstated-crime-statistics-misapplied-to-paint-inaccurate-picture/article_33c2b2ea-a7d1-5630-8035-6c639379b090.html

Not to dismiss them entirely, but the FBI cautions against using the crime data for rankings. The ones for Alaska are a bit peculiar due to the demographics of the state, and how the stats are gathered. We have never felt unsafe in Alaska. Single women never had issues anywhere we lived - at least not while we lived there. However, I would advise single women toGoogle and ask district staff (and current staff at their potential new school) questions about the village climate.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby madowlspeaks » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:11 am

Oregon,

There is violence in schools and I know of a lady who moved to a certain rural village with her 5 kids from the lower 48, only to turn right around that same day, claiming she did not feel safe after moving into her house. Thank God she did not sell her house and move up here blind like many do! At least she had somewhere to go back to. Many teachers do not.

In schools, students flipping desks and/or body shoving teachers happens, who then never get disciplined because they claim it was a mistake and they 'bumped into teachers.They also spew hate about how they resent whites in their village. I have been threatened with death. Students verbally abuse teachers and get away with it. Many have IEP's for being 'emotionally distrubed' and thrive on the fact they can not be disciplined for their violent outbursts. In a classroom of students, male students yell out obscenities to female teachers about what they should do with vibrators and never get disciplined. This perpetuates the idea that it is ok to humiliate females. I home school my kids for these reasons.

Around the village I have witnessed many, many, many, MANY forms of direct and indirect violence, hostility and harassment (as have my children who have learned the full spectrum of swears from people screaming them from outside teacher housing). You will also see puppies in trash bins and dead dogs at playgrounds. There is also the health issue. If you live in a village with honey buckets dump on the sides of the road, be aware that those flies will get into your house as will the stench. This is a sanitation issue which could affect your quality of life. While some of these things do not relate directly to women, they do carry over into the overall setting of festering violence.

Of course, you might not hear about such issues because some districts actually ask you to sign papers saying you will not talk about information you obtain (such as deplorable working conditions) during the course of employment.
madowlspeaks

Postby Johncn » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:48 am

Madowlspeaks,

Although I will not remove your post, I think you need to be aware that you are making it sound like all of rural Alaska is like this, and painting an unfairly negative view. Are there some dysfunctional schools and villages? Yes, there are, but the situations you describe are hardly representative of most villages.

You are only offering your perspective from what is clearly an unhappy situation. Some of the things you describe - if true on their surface - are actionable accusations, and they make one wonder why you would stay. I wouldn't. Mail planes come almost every day. I'd get on one, and get on with my life. There are MANY positive places to live and work in Alaska, as well as in the Lower 48. I'd recommend that you find one.

We believe in running a fairly open forum here. If your purpose here to find a better situation for you and your family, you are welcome to contribute. But, if your goal appears to us to to be poisoning the research and job searches of others in interested in Alaska, you will be banned.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby madowlspeaks » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:19 pm

If the posting first hand observations / true experiences of a teacher in rural Alaska is an offense that warrants being banned, that says a lot about ATP.

I am still trying to find a livable village with good conditions. That is why I am here. I am also in school to become an administrator.In some ways, I am thankful for the experiences because they will help me help other teachers.

One reason why turnover might be so high is because teachers are not prepared for some of these pitfalls. I am not trying to poison anything. The accounts speak for themselves.
Last edited by madowlspeaks on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madowlspeaks

Postby Johncn » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:52 pm

If the posting first hand observations / true experiences of a teacher in rural Alaska is an offense that warrants being banned, that says a lot about ATP.

Update: The text italicized above is the entire post I was responding to....before you edited it. ;-)

Madowlspeaks,

I didn't ban you...lol. You wouldn't be able to post if I had. I was sending you a message that you need to be a positive contributor / job seeker to hang out here and post. If you give the impression to the moderators that you are posting here primarily to scare others away, then you won't be welcome. Is that really surprising to you? I don't think we over-moderate or censor this board, and insulting ATP by implying that we do isn't going to garner you much support.

Look, you clearly are in a tough spot. You have my empathy. Note that I am not calling you a liar, but I am a moderator, and your posts are simply not representative of the experiences of vast majority of teachers who work in rural Alaska.

Best of luck. You need to get out of your current situation, and I hope you find a better spot for you and your family in Alaska or elsewhere soon.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby Toni McFadden » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:15 pm

I live in Fairbanks, and have my entire adult life. I have never felt unsafe or have I been in unsafe situations. I was single here,got married, raised 5 kids here and think it is a wonderful place with lots of opportunities. Don't get me wrong, I don't live with my head in the clouds, and I know there are areas I wouldn't want to be in after dark, but that is the same for any place you live.
Toni
Toni McFadden

Postby H.Scandale » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:28 am

Madowlspeaks,

My heart breaks for you and your family. It appears through your perspective that there is a lot of negative aspects of teaching in AK. I am curious, and wonder why do you stay? This question coming from an emphatic place, not adversarial.

I hope your situation changes for the better.
H.Scandale

Postby madowlspeaks » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:27 am

Why do I stay? I don't. We are looking for another village.

Plus, I am not a quitter and I worked VERY hard and spent A LOT of money getting certified in Alaska and sacrificed even more to move my entire household here. I want a return on my investment. Do you think it is easy to get up and move all that we own as a family plus 2 dogs with no money? Then to another state with new certification requirements and job searching while spending another 20 grand out that we already spent to get here? How would we do that pray tell? We have hardly broke even yet.

We have made adjustments (such as homeschooling) which has made living in rough villages more tolerable.

Perhaps I am an optimist, but I have very strong faith that we will find the right village soon.
madowlspeaks

Postby petemccall » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:08 am

ANy warnings or advice for Kotlik? I have lived in New Orleans since 93 so I'm pretty good about staying away from trouble. In a village of 600, you have crime problems?
petemccall

Return to ATP Forum