Page 1 of 1


PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:55 am
I have a Bachelors degree in Biology/Mathematics and a Doctorate Degree in Chiropractic. I have been teaching at a University level for 3 years and was wondering what the most realistic means of achieving licensure in Alaska to teach High School.

Re: Licensure

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:41 am
by Johncn

Welcome to the ATP Forum. You've come to the right place, but for certification questions most of us recommend contacting Alaska EED's Teacher Certification Office in Juneau. This is not part of Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) office, which is housed at the University of Alaska in Fairbanks. The ATP Forum is run by Alaska Teacher Placement.

The short answer to your question is that you must be certified to teach in Alaska. ATP main website has a newly revised "Getting Certified" that captures SOME of the changes in the last year to teacher certification:

ATP Getting Certified Page

With that said, anything anyone tells you here will be well-intentioned opinion. Only Alaska EED will have the "real" info. ;-) There may be someone on the forum who has had recent similar experience, but always assume that each individual's education and experience background is going to need analysis by EED. This is always more important with "non-traditional" teacher applicants such as yourself.

Also, Sondra Meredith the Director of Teacher Certification, and is going to do a live ATP Virtual Chat on February 16th called, coincidentally enough, "Getting Certified in Alaska". She takes questions from the audience, and does a great job every spring with explaining the latest and greatest nuances of teacher certification. I'd recommend attending if you can, but the live chat will be recorded.

Hope this helps,