Which districts allow pets?

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

Which districts allow pets?

Postby madowlspeaks » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:19 pm

I know for a fact that Yukon Koyukuk District does not allow dogs (at least...the last time I checked this was the case). Kashunamiut allows 1 free pet but charges $300 per month (non-refundable) per additional pet.

Does anyone have information about North Slope, or BSSD or NWABSD and their pet policies with regards to teacher housing?

Any info about districts who have pet-friendly teacher housing would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Last edited by Johncn on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed district abbreviations for clarity
madowlspeaks

Re: Which districts allow pets?

Postby H.Scandale » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:39 am

Hi,
I remember reading on the NWABSD website that they allow a pet. I believe the information is located on the website.
H.Scandale

Postby Transplant2AK » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:59 pm

BSSD charges something like $20 per pet per month.
Transplant2AK

Postby Johncn » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:09 am

Hi folks,

Here is a screen shot of the BSSD negotiated agreement (contract which specifies salary and benefits for teachers union) regarding pets:

We had a dog and a cat while living there, and although we didn't like paying the pet fee ($15 a pet then, I think), we were not ever charged for the inevitable wear and tear on our apartments. The pet fees are used by the district to refurbish the apartments of pet owners when the teachers move.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Return to ATP Forum