Teaching couple and three kids

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

Re: Teaching couple and three kids

Postby Bushteachers » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:40 pm

Thanks Betty. It's still kind of vague, and I'll be curious how those funds are used. My region is circled, and it's a non-issue to us.

Childcare in the bush is an elephant in the room not discussed enough. Before we were hired with our first district, the outgoing super did talk to teachers on site about childcare. Despite the initial childcare being good, it didn't last. More money, but less hours was desired. Of course we were paying the going rate in the village. Of course I walked home during planning period to find baby sitter asleep with her child and our child playing unsupervised.
Having children with two teachers limits where you can go.
Many new teachers start looking for a job, not knowing about the issues in the bush. Heck even our daycare is substandard to what I've seen. We pick our battles. I know my kids are safe and they enjoy going.
I think the OP will be limited to hubs with their certifications, which will make childcare a little easier. OP childcare includes day care.
Bushteachers

Re: Teaching couple and three kids

Postby alaskantx » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:47 am

Pre-school in the bush is a 2.5 hour program for 3 and 4 yr olds... for those that have it. They have a curriculum generally, but I would agree with the person who said make sure to check into the child care situation as that can be a huge issue for folks in the bush.
alaskantx

Previous

Return to ATP Forum