Input if you live here

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

Input if you live here

Postby oregon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:24 pm

Ketchkan
Kiawok
Wrangle
Petersburg
Kake

Looking for any insights into these areas: Housing, Arts/Culture, tolerance, Weather, School Systems.

Thanks!

Oregon.
oregon

Re: Input if you live here

Postby BermudaKristi » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:22 pm

I personally haven't lived in those places, have been to all for long visits though. I have teacher friends in 3 of them. If you want to consider another island a bit more west and a bit bigger community except for Ketchikan- you should look at Kodiak. :) I teach here and LOVE IT
BermudaKristi

Postby H.Scandale » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:09 am

What do you love about Kodiak? I would love to hear your experience. TIA
H.Scandale

Postby oregon » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:39 am

Thank you Kristi!

I will check Kodiak out :) Can you tell me if you have a lot of earthquakes. I see you are in the zone there for the most severe ones. I don't mind a few small ones, but I'm shying away for the big dudes. What can you tell me about your experience with that so far?

Lynette
oregon

Postby BermudaKristi » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:53 pm

Maybe it's just been quiet since I've lived here or I'm just used to earthquakes since living in Japan so only big ones catch my attention ? But, haven't had much, if any (none that I recall) in the earthquake area. I know there was a bit of a rattler 2015- but still didn't cause damage, just got people's attention. Kodiak is an island, so it's secluded in that sense, we are a small community but large...like we have Walmart, Taco Bell, safeway, McDonald's, Starbucks...I came from
Bermuda so feel spoiled here :) Anchorage is a quick flight away if you feel like it, but I've been quite content over breaks to stay here.

Schools are great here and it's just big enough to have a nice community for families and stuff to do. I've loved it and don't plan on leaving. The only major caveat is the housing is very expensive- so be ready for that!
Sticker shock!
BermudaKristi

Return to ATP Forum