Finding the right area in the Bush

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

Finding the right area in the Bush

Postby Graybats » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:20 pm

I was wondering if anyone would know of any villages that might have accesses with the railroad, but not road ways. I am interested in having the option of at least the railway instead of just having to rely on airplanes. I am just looking to gain more info for where I might want to teach at. I am currently still working at getting certified to teach and hoping to get a clearer focus when I am already to start. Thanks for any input and if there is anything anyone might suggest somethings to consider for area to consider would be great.
Graybats

Re: Finding the right area in the Bush

Postby Johncn » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:22 pm

Hello,

I can't really think of any that meet the specific criteria of rail access, but no roadway. The passenger rail system in Alaska is limited to the Seward to Fairbanks corridor, basically, and the communities with schools along the way have at least some road connection as well. Here is the route map:

http://www.alaska.org/advice/alaska-railroad-map

Others may know some that I don't, as I am not aware of the finer points of the "flag stop" service in the winter, and so on.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Re: Finding the right area in the Bush

Postby Adrianna » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:24 am

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/

That's where the railways go and also their will be more limited service in the winter ie flag stops and you would have to specifically ask about flag stops. As far as teaching remote/bush with access to railway. As mentioned that's also going to have a roadway system. The railroads tend to in many places stay close to the main highway. Their is whitter, Alaska as one possibility. But their road system is also the train tracks so that means both cars and the railroad share a tunnel to get to whitter and leave whitter and whitter also has boat access. As far as information about where you can teach at. Look up the cities, villages and the towns in the districts and also some districts offer videos for example The Bering strait school district has a video series that is on youtube that highlites their villiages and gives a great over view. You can look up census records and historical information on bush areas of Alaska on the internet. It will be impossible to explain what it is exactly like in a bush village until your actually in one. Also look carefully at what your needs are? Most of Alaska is accessed by planes and then also by boats in some cases and then by road which is also railway access in the limited areas of the state the railway goes through. Rail is not a primary mode of getting around remote areas of Alaska. Good luck :)
Adrianna

Return to ATP Forum