Cost for First Shopping

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

Cost for First Shopping

Postby disneygirl » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:55 pm

Hello All,

I would love to know some estimates for that first big shopping time in Anchorage. I have read through a lot of posts and blogs from the various teachers in the bush or rural areas and you all talk about meeting in Anchorage and doing a big shopping trip, packing it in totes, etc... What would you estimate or budget for to do this shop?
Because we currently live in China, I am used to online ordering, but I have no concept of cost of food in the states anymore. We are planning to move to Alaska in 2018 after I am done with my masters. We have a family of 4 but I welcome input from anyone (single or couple or family). I can adjust for amount of people.

Thanks, Sarah
disneygirl

Re: Cost for First Shopping

Postby Transplant2AK » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:03 pm

We didn't do much shopping in Anchorage. All we did while there was fill a cooler up with meat and cheese. It was easier and cheaper to order everything else off of Amazon with a Prime membership or Walmart dot com with Shipping Pass. We ordered around $1,000 worth of dry and canned food goods and another $1,000 worth of bedding, home supplies, and miscellaneous things that we wanted (new boots, jackets, a television, all new sheets and blankets). We also spent somewhere around $1,000 shipping things from our home to rural Alaska in Rubbermaid totes. When we arrived at our site, we placed a big order of meat through Mr. Prime Beef (about $600 with a $350 freight charge) and an order of cheese and specialty foods through Fred Meyer ($400 with a $400 freight charge). All in all, we spent close to $5,000 to get started. That doesn't include the several thousand dollars worth of airfare, hotel, and rental car costs throughout the trip. Lets guesstimate that, in total, we spent around $8,000 to get here and have 3 months of food and all of our home goods for the year. That cost is for two adults and one toddler.

Your experience may be more or less. It all depends on what your expectations are.
Transplant2AK

Postby disneygirl » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:00 pm

Transplant2AK wrote:We didn't do much shopping in Anchorage. All we did while there was fill a cooler up with meat and cheese. It was easier and cheaper to order everything else off of Amazon with a Prime membership or Walmart dot com with Shipping Pass. We ordered around $1,000 worth of dry and canned food goods and another $1,000 worth of bedding, home supplies, and miscellaneous things that we wanted (new boots, jackets, a television, all new sheets and blankets). We also spent somewhere around $1,000 shipping things from our home to rural Alaska in Rubbermaid totes. When we arrived at our site, we placed a big order of meat through Mr. Prime Beef (about $600 with a $350 freight charge) and an order of cheese and specialty foods through Fred Meyer ($400 with a $400 freight charge). All in all, we spent close to $5,000 to get started. That doesn't include the several thousand dollars worth of airfare, hotel, and rental car costs throughout the trip. Lets guesstimate that, in total, we spent around $8,000 to get here and have 3 months of food and all of our home goods for the year. That cost is for two adults and one toddler.

Your experience may be more or less. It all depends on what your expectations are.

Thank you @Transplant2AK this is exactly what I was looking to know! Thank you! At least that gives me some idea. And from what I have read everyone says to plan for more then what you will think you need for the budget of moving. Having made 3 international moves - I will say that's always true! lol
disneygirl

Postby MossLover » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:21 pm

We moved from the lower 48 and our moving trip was expensive but that's for another post...and you've moved overseas so you should know how it is. We went shopping at costco but when we arrived we realized we still hadnt purchased enough stuff! We mainly bought the staples and things we knew we would run out of, chicken stock, peanut butter, coconut oil (cheaper at costco than amazon at the time) but we do price everything. We made sure to check at costco, walmart, and other avenues online for the first big shopping trip. We were up in the thousands too, around 4, but we also bought a freezer (hunting/fishing) which we stuffed with food, and other big ticket items like a mattress! This was for two adults and 2 kids. We mostly buy everything online now though, except for eggs, milk, and cheese which we buy at the store. Otherwise, amazon it is! Hope that helps some.
MossLover

Return to ATP Forum