Walmart Shipping Pass

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

Walmart Shipping Pass

Postby Fabbecky » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:32 am

Is it worth it?

So I have Amazon Prime and have used that to order quite a bit of stuff, but the mail/delivery is... anyway it takes 2-3 weeks for any given order. I totally get that is how mail works in my village/area, and I am mostly ok with it (waiting for spices to cook with right now and it is making me crazy). But I am wondering if the Walmart Shipping Pass option is any fast or even worth considering.
Fabbecky

Re: Walmart Shipping Pass

Postby Johncn » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:24 am

Hello,

Although I have heard Walmart shipping is very good recently from other users, I no longer have first hand info. I am hoping someone else here will respond to your question soon who does! ;-)

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby Fabbecky » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:32 am

Thank you for trying to help :) As far as I can tell after signing up for the 30 day free trial, I would still have to pay shipping as part of the "location fee" to my village, so it would cost me just as much money as without shipping pass.
Fabbecky

Postby Transplant2AK » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:21 pm

Shipping Pass allows me to ship goods for free to St. Lawrence Island. I would guess that you can ship for free to many other places too. It doesn't calculate the free shipping until you get to the final check out page, so it can be deceiving.

One warning about Wal-Mart shipping is that they do not always pack boxes well. I have literally opened boxes that are full to the top with cans mixed with jars, laid on their side, upside down, and every which way. In order to prevent that from happening, I have been placing a few small orders rather than one big one. Just put stuff that you think is okay to ship in the same box into each order.
Last edited by Transplant2AK on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Transplant2AK

Postby Fabbecky » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:25 pm

Thank you! I will try again and see if it is worth it.
Fabbecky

Postby michellemedlin » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:30 am

Fabbecky wrote:Is it worth it?

So I have Amazon Prime and have used that to order quite a bit of stuff, but the mail/delivery is... anyway it takes 2-3 weeks for any given order. I totally get that is how mail works in my village/area, and I am mostly ok with it (waiting for spices to cook with right now and it is making me crazy). But I am wondering if the Walmart Shipping Pass option is any fast or even worth considering.

I paid the $50 for 13 months (you get your first month free) and have been very pleased!!!! I can order just a jar of mayo if that is all I need and not have to order 10 other items to get a $50 order for free shipping. I pay local prices and get free shipping on MOST items... (Make sure it says "Shipping Pass").

I personally believe it is well worth it. I get most of my orders within a week to two weeks. At least try the free month :)
michellemedlin

Postby Fabbecky » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:47 am

I did end up getting the shipping pass and love it! I am having a ton of shipping issues with Amazon right now, but have been able to get everything I need with 2X a month trips into Bethel for perishable foods and Walmart for everything else :) I am even able to get food for the chickens and goats that I recently got. Shipping pass is totally worth it!
Fabbecky

Postby Johncn » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:43 am

Hello,

I know that many have used the Walmart Shipping Pass program to compete with Amazon Prime in Alaska. Walmart has gotten rid of Shipping Pass - which required a $50 membership fee, I believe - and replaced it with a new program that ships everything free two-day (Lower 48) and 3-5 day (Alaska) so long as your total is $35. No membership is required.

Here is some info about this:

Walmart Shipping to Alaska Update
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/30/wal-mart-scraps-amazon-prime-rival-in-favor-of-new-free-shipping-offer.html

Walmart New Shipping Program[img]

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby Fabbecky » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:09 am

Shipping Pass has been cancelled as of 1/31/17 so now orders to the villages do NOT qualify for the free shipping and it will cost 3X as much as your products to get it shipped through Walmart.
Fabbecky

Postby Johncn » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:28 am

Fabecky,

I think they may have changed that. The screen shot I took above is from today. Good luck...hope it's true! ;-) Please let us know if you try it and it doesn't work so we can update the thread.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby Fabbecky » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:32 am

I spent an hour online this morning and was told that as of today Shipping Pass has been discontinued. My order of $400 worth of food and animal feed went to $1500 overnight due to shipping. Sorry to say it is true.
Fabbecky

Postby Johncn » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:51 am

Fabecky,

That sucks, but there may be hope.

Since the screen shot I took was from this morning, perhaps cancelling your order, and recreating it now would get you the "free shipping" screen that I saw? It very clearly says it includes Alaska, but is shows up in the Checkout screen. If they just changed the system over, your order could be caught in between policies in the system.

Maybe. If not, then you should send them my screen shot below with policy highlighted:

Good luck!

John
Johncn

Postby Fabbecky » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:03 am

I cleaned my browser history, deleted cookies and cached files, deleted everything in my cart. Tried adding things back - what I could add, shipping was still 2-3X as much as the product, definitely NOT free, and the site has crashed completely every time I try to search for some of the things I need.

This coupled with Amazon's recent desire to not ship to my village is making life very frustrating right now.
Fabbecky

Return to ATP Forum