Moving to SouthEast from NY

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

Moving to SouthEast from NY

Postby Aimeenicole » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:59 am

Hi Everyone,

I currently teach Spanish in NY and am working on getting my Alaska certification. My family will be relocating to Juneau in June 2017 but as of yet I don't have a teaching job lined up. I'm a little terrified about moving without having a job secured first. In your opinion, do you think I will have a difficult time finding a job teaching Soanish? I'm also certified to teach ESL and I'm thinking that might be my ticket into the district.

Has anybody made this kind of move before? I have three children so I have a lot at stake, any and all suggestions are welcome. I've started to upload my resume onto the Juneau district website and I wrote a couple emails to two different teachers in the school I'd like to teach but I've received no response.

Help!! I'm very interested in attending a job fair, but I don't see dates for 2017 yet. Any idea when they typically ser those up?

Best,

Aimee
Aimeenicole

Re: Moving to SouthEast from NY

Postby Johncn » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:23 pm

I currently teach Spanish in NY and am working on getting my Alaska certification. My family will be relocating to Juneau in June 2017 but as of yet I don't have a teaching job lined up. I'm a little terrified about moving without having a job secured first. In your opinion, do you think I will have a difficult time finding a job teaching Soanish? I'm also certified to teach ESL and I'm thinking that might be my ticket into the district.

Has anybody made this kind of move before? I have three children so I have a lot at stake, any and all suggestions are welcome. I've started to upload my resume onto the Juneau district website and I wrote a couple emails to two different teachers in the school I'd like to teach but I've received no response.

Help!! I'm very interested in attending a job fair, but I don't see dates for 2017 yet. Any idea when they typically ser those up?

Hi Aimee,

This is tough time of year to get responses to questions on this forum, as teachers in Alaska are mostly moving, getting ready for work and in-service, or enjoying their last few days of freedom before the work year starts. I'll take a stab at your question, but I don't know Juneau very well. I'm sure others here will pitch in local info.

First of all, I never recommend that a family move to any pre-determined location in Alaska on the assumption that a job will become available. It doesn't matter if it's Juneau, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Kenai or Kodiak. Unless there is some other reason that Juneau is your destination (a spouse relocating there for work or something), I would advise you to keep your options and your mind open, and let the right job determine where you go. Just my opinion.

Juneau typically does not have to recruit much outside of their own community to fill openings. They do for some things, some years, but I am not sure what those are likely to be in any given year. I know you said you uploaded some information to their recruiting database, but you been following their openings this year on their website? Here is what they have open now, which, unless oil prices rebound significantly, could somewhat similar to what's available this time next year.

Of the six positions currently listed, one is Special Ed, one is a Montessori position (which requires special training), one is a Math teacher, two are elementary openings, and one is a part time PE teacher. The district has been trimming positions each year, and since 2011 they have cut 105 staff positions. The eliminated nine (9) more teaching jobs in June. These are not a strong indicator of a teacher shortage. Here is an article that sums up where their budget and staffing needs are this year:

http://www.ktoo.org/2016/06/03/school-district-waits-last-step-state-budget-process/

However, if your mind is made up that it's Juneau you want to live and work in, for whatever reason, then you should certainly hope for the best, but be ready to substitute or work other kinds of jobs for some period of time until a teaching job becomes available. Juneau housing is pretty expensive, and units for a family of four or five are probably going to be in short supply. I'm not saying it's not possible to find, but you may want to call a few real estate firms that do rentals of homes now, and ask what the price range and availability are like so that you can do an estimated budget before moving.

I realize this is probably not a very encouraging response, and I am not a Juneau expert. Others may give you different advice.

The job fairs for next year are usually posted in August or September. ATP will have them up soon. I know the dates and locations, however, and here they are:

Anchorage, AK: March 16-18 - Captain Cook
Portland, OR: April 5 - Crowne Plaza Downtown Convention Center
Minneapolis, MN: April 22, Embassy Suites Minneapolis Airport
Austin, TX: May 9 - Embassy Suites Austin Central

Again, I would suggest you keep your mind open to exploring other communities while you continue to pursue a position in Juneau. Alaska has many wonderful towns, big and small, and I've fallen in love with several I never planned on living in when I was job hunting. ;-) Hope this helps.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Re: Moving to SouthEast from NY

Postby Aimeenicole » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:12 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. You're right, not very encouraging but I pretty much have come to the conclusion that if I don't get a Spanish position, I'm going to pray for an ESL position, and worst comes to worst I will substitute. I will definitely keep an open mind to working in other parts of Southeast, my sister lives in Hoonah.

I like the suggestion of getting in contact with a real estate agent, I'm going to take your advice.

I saw that this past year they had a job fair take place in Pennsylvania, this would probably be the easiest location for me to get to from NY. Do they typically have the recruitments at the same places? I was a little surprised there wasn't one offered here in NY, when they seemed to offer so many in other states. Would you happen to know the date for the recruitment in PA?

It's very assuring being able to talk to other educators in Alaska and here your input. I'm hoping I will here from others and their experiences with relocating!

Aimee
Aimeenicole

Return to ATP Forum