Mr. Prime Beef and Shipping

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Mr. Prime Beef and Shipping

Postby mrsbettyhall » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:32 pm

Can anyone tell me the best method of shipment (to Stebbins) when ordering from Mr. Prime Beef and the general cost of delivery? I want to order one of the assortment boxes for around $550, but, from my emails with the company, it sounds like I have to arrange the shipment. I have no idea what I'm doing! Thanks!!!
mrsbettyhall

Re: Mr. Prime Beef and Shipping

Postby Bushteachers » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:26 pm

Contact the air carrier that serves Stebbins. You need to inquire about freight and specifically freeze. If you ain't in a hub, your costs increase significantly.

We found that the cost from anchorage to our hub was half the cost. So the last 45 miles cost the same as the first 350 miles of the journey.

Here is what we found. For meat in a non hub we discovered it was much more affordable to bring it back in our checked luggage. We'd often pay for one extra bag. On Ravn we were allowed two bags and the extra bag cost $50.

We live in a hub now and I was able to drop off 100 lbs of meat and 50 lbs of frozen veggies with ACE air cargo and paid $1/2 for freight.
Bushteachers

Postby Johncn » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:57 am

Bushteachers wrote:Contact the air carrier that serves Stebbins. You need to inquire about freight and specifically freeze. If you ain't in a hub, your costs increase significantly.

You are going to be best off coming out from Anchorage on Ravn via Unalakleet. If you don't belong to their Rewards program, join BEFORE you leave. It only takes a few round trips to get a free ticket to town...good program for rural residents. They have a good online ticket system.

We found that the cost from anchorage to our hub was half the cost. So the last 45 miles cost the same as the first 350 miles of the journey.

He's on target. This is exactly the situation if shipping freight . You would have to use Everts Air Cargo (http://www.evertsair.com/pages/cargo/rates/anc_rates.php) or Northern Air Cargo (http://www.nac.aero/rates/), and the "last segment" (UNK=>WBB) would go on Ravn. It's far better to do as Bushteachers suggests, and use your baggage allowance for your meat and fresh produce. It's the cheapest shipping you're going to get. Mail your extra clothes and so on. Only take a couple changes of underwear and emergecny stuff (medications if any, etc.) with you, and maximize your luggage allowance for shipping perishables. You don't need a six month supply. Teachers at your site will go in together on freeze orders during the year, and will let you know the ins and outs when you get there. Staff could be hard to reach during the summer...

Mr. Prime Beef rocks. Good quality stuff, and excellent customer service. I would go into Anchorage early as possible the day before your flight, and select your cuts at Mr. Prime Beef. Ask them to wrap and freeze them for you, and pay for your order. It's much better than just getting the assortment. Get what YOU like, and take advantage of the sale items that they have in their weekly flyer. Ask for one pound packages of things like ground sirloin (theirs is excellent) or ground beef, and one or two pound packages (or typical serving sizes) of most other things. This makes it easier to pack and distribute in luggage, and make your weight exactly what the limit is. Buy and use a luggage scale for this. It will pay for itself the first time you get an overweight charge. Trust me. :o

Hope this helps,

John
Johncn

Postby mrsbettyhall » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:36 pm

Thanks!
mrsbettyhall

Return to ATP Forum