Shipping totes

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Shipping totes

Postby Michael Robbins » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:57 pm

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering what some of your preferred ways for marking totes for shipping were. I'm sure that just marking the lid would work, but many of us probably will ship a tote more than one time. Would a blank sheet of unlined paper with all the info work well with clear packing tape over it work well, or would separate sheets for both the return and receiving addresses be more appropriate? I have not shipped a tote before and was going to start sending stuff out this week, but that thought came into my head.

I plan on incorporating the zip-tie trick, but if there are any other things as well I'm all ears. Does anyone ever put items inside the totes in garbage bags or other items incase something should happen to the tote? When I was in the military I would always put items inside ziplocks and garbage bags before putting them inside duffels or footlockers when traveling. I was also interested in how everyone taped totes up as well such as just one loop around, several, and if you like using a lot of tape and bisecting your first loop of tape going around the other sides.

Thank you,

Michael
Michael Robbins

Re: Shipping totes

Postby Bushteachers » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:41 pm

Sharpie across the lid. I use same address for shipping and receiving. Zip tie the lids. I drill two holes in each corner and two holes in the middle. I run tie up from bottom and thread back down through second hole. Gives a little more surface area for the zip tie to secure.

We use our totes all the time and when we moved from the village to our current location we removed the sharpie and wrote our current address. Mark lids with tote to make sure your holes match up. We started out using letters then numbers then math equations.

As far as ziplock and plastic bags? We have occasionally but rarely does anything bust open inside our totes. Pack smartly and we use dirty or extra clothes (when traveling) to make things a little tighter in the totes.

As far as taping totes? I've only taped them when traveling to anchorage. That's because I'd stack 5-7 and duct tape their lids to the totes. Within Alaska the postal workers and airline agents really do take care of totes. They know.
Bushteachers

Re: Shipping totes

Postby Michael Robbins » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:18 pm

Thank you, I used much of what you have said and others when preparing to ship my first few totes earlier this week.
Michael Robbins

Return to ATP Forum