Student Teaching in a Village

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Student Teaching in a Village

Postby Michael Robbins » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:41 pm

Hello everyone,

I will be performing my student teaching for the 2016/2017 school year out in Stebbins to complete my requirements at UAF. For my situation I was wondering what others thought about for my options.

1) I currently live in Fairbanks and was wondering what would be the best way to do my initial non-perishable food order along with other supplies. Would it be better for myself to go to Fred Myers or WalMart here in town, buy what I want, package/ship it myself, or would it possibly be better to do it online or another route?

2) What are people's thoughts on what to put into storage and what to sell? With so many places providing free shipping it makes me wonder what would be best in the long run for overall cost and time involved with moving it all later. I have some items like a small chest freezer and other items that I know I will not ship this year, but am wondering about keeping depending on where I get a job next year. I will be having a yard sale here regardless before I leave in order to trim unneeded items.

3) How much clothing should I really bring to wear in the classroom? I have enough slacks/nice pants along with good shirts to wear a different set each day for a week, is this an appropriate amount? I was toying with the idea of buying more since I will want a larger variety come next year, but since I know that I will only be at this location for this year I am wondering if the extra clothes are worth the extra to ship out and also to stretch the money I currently have that more.

4) Coolers? I was planning on using at least one of my checked bags as a cooler packed with fresh and frozen foods. Currently, I have one of those newer ones that is lockable and is supposed to keep cold much longer than others on the market. The issue with it is that it is a bit heavier in construction so I wonder if it is truly worth using as a checked bag given it's weight already. If I were to go buy a new cooler, what are ones that people prefer to use for going back and forth to the villages with on a regular basis? When I have flown it has been with minimal baggage, so a cooler is something new for me to travel with like that.

5) How soon should I buy my tickets for the flights ahead of time? I was told I can move in on August 1st. I also looked at the connecting flights from both Nome or Unalakleet to Stebbins and saw that there is not much time for changing planes. What is an adequate or normal amount of time for changing planes in locations such as those? I am wondering if I would have to maybe overnight in one of those locations is my only concern.

6) Long term storage: What are peoples tips and ideas for this and does anyone have experience here in Fairbanks doing it? I have done some price comparing and looked into some of the local places myself. More than likely I will be getting a heated unit to help protect some items that could be affected by humidity and temperature swings since I will not bring everything with me.

7) I have a newer diesel truck that I plan to sell prior to moving out. After reading some of the posts on here, it seems that some people advise to keep a vehicle for when we come back to do things such as annual shopping, appointments, and other things in town. What I wonder is that how feasible is this really for me to possibly keep my truck if I do considering storage fees, what little use it will get, and maintenance costs for a more spendy vehicle such as this. I do not know anyone here in town well enough to really consider keeping it with anyone and I really do not like the idea of paying so much to just have it sit and not be used.

I have looked over many of the prior posts on here and have thought it all very beneficial information. If anyone has any other ideas, I would gladly like to read them.

Thank you,

Michael
Michael Robbins

Re: Student Teaching in a Village

Postby Bushteachers » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:17 am

Michael Robbins wrote:Hello everyone,

I will be performing my student teaching for the 2016/2017 school year out in Stebbins to complete my requirements at UAF. For my situation I was wondering what others thought about for my options.

1) I currently live in Fairbanks and was wondering what would be the best way to do my initial non-perishable food order along with other supplies. Would it be better for myself to go to Fred Myers or WalMart here in town, buy what I want, package/ship it myself, or would it possibly be better to do it online or another route?

2) What are people's thoughts on what to put into storage and what to sell? With so many places providing free shipping it makes me wonder what would be best in the long run for overall cost and time involved with moving it all later. I have some items like a small chest freezer and other items that I know I will not ship this year, but am wondering about keeping depending on where I get a job next year. I will be having a yard sale here regardless before I leave in order to trim unneeded items.

3) How much clothing should I really bring to wear in the classroom? I have enough slacks/nice pants along with good shirts to wear a different set each day for a week, is this an appropriate amount? I was toying with the idea of buying more since I will want a larger variety come next year, but since I know that I will only be at this location for this year I am wondering if the extra clothes are worth the extra to ship out and also to stretch the money I currently have that more.

4) Coolers? I was planning on using at least one of my checked bags as a cooler packed with fresh and frozen foods. Currently, I have one of those newer ones that is lockable and is supposed to keep cold much longer than others on the market. The issue with it is that it is a bit heavier in construction so I wonder if it is truly worth using as a checked bag given it's weight already. If I were to go buy a new cooler, what are ones that people prefer to use for going back and forth to the villages with on a regular basis? When I have flown it has been with minimal baggage, so a cooler is something new for me to travel with like that.

5) How soon should I buy my tickets for the flights ahead of time? I was told I can move in on August 1st. I also looked at the connecting flights from both Nome or Unalakleet to Stebbins and saw that there is not much time for changing planes. What is an adequate or normal amount of time for changing planes in locations such as those? I am wondering if I would have to maybe overnight in one of those locations is my only concern.

6) Long term storage: What are peoples tips and ideas for this and does anyone have experience here in Fairbanks doing it? I have done some price comparing and looked into some of the local places myself. More than likely I will be getting a heated unit to help protect some items that could be affected by humidity and temperature swings since I will not bring everything with me.

7) I have a newer diesel truck that I plan to sell prior to moving out. After reading some of the posts on here, it seems that some people advise to keep a vehicle for when we come back to do things such as annual shopping, appointments, and other things in town. What I wonder is that how feasible is this really for me to possibly keep my truck if I do considering storage fees, what little use it will get, and maintenance costs for a more spendy vehicle such as this. I do not know anyone here in town well enough to really consider keeping it with anyone and I really do not like the idea of paying so much to just have it sit and not be used.

I have looked over many of the prior posts on here and have thought it all very beneficial information. If anyone has any other ideas, I would gladly like to read them.

Thank you,

Michael

1. Having done plenty of shopping, I totally recommend finding out which Walmart or Fred Meyers does bush shopping in Fairbanks and pay the 10% fee for them to do the shopping for you. They package very well with very nice cardboard boxes. I find the 10% fee minimal from Fred's and they pay the same amount for shipping that I would.
Otherwise get you many 18 gallon totes and do it all yourself. Make sure you drill holes in the lids and secure with zip ties.

2. Storage advise: You know what you have and what you need. If the bush is only a one year fling, determine what it will cost to replace vs store. We stored stuff down south in a climate controlled unit for three years. Three years was our max plan. Granted we wasted three years of fees since we ended up selling everything anyways.

3. Find out what the dress code is at the school you are going to. You don't want to be underdressed or over dressed. I have five pairs of slacks/khakis and two pairs of blue jeans, though I typically wear 2 pair throughout the week. My pants don't get dirty. I wear the same 7 shirts in a rotation. I'm currently in a differnet setting than when we were in a village. In the village our dress code was much more relaxed. Especially in winter.

4. coolers? I think are a waste of weight. You only get 50 lbs before you get charged quite a bit. The heavier the cooler the less meat you can bring. We froze our meat and used 18 gallon totes. Worked fine. Our flight out of Anchorage was at 9 am and we would arrive in our village around 2 PM. Everything pretty much stayed frozen. Ravn kept our stuff either froze or chilled while waiting. One time we had a delay in Aniak and Ravn kept our freeze frozen.
A lighter option would be fish boxes.

5. I would go ahead and get your tickets if you can afford it. Getting to the hub may not be an issue, but to the village it may. Lots of people will be returning to the village at that time. My wife had to head into Anchorage once in August for our little one. It took her 4 days to get back b/c all flights were booked. It was cheaper for her to stay in Anchorage than Aniak.

6. Cost to store vs replace. That is how we determined storage.

7. Cost issue. We found it cheaper to rent a vehicle in the winter than store one for a year. Summer time is when it changes. How big of a hit will you take?
Bushteachers

Postby mrsbettyhall » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:45 pm

Hi Michael. I don't have much advice, but I'm moving to Stebbins, also. So, I thought I should say hello! My family and I are coming up from Oregon. We've ordered almost everything from Walmart.com (non-perishable groceries and household items), and they have free shipping. From what I've heard, everything has arrived intact. I look forward to meeting you.

Betty
mrsbettyhall

Postby Michael Robbins » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:23 pm

Thank you Bushteachers,

I thought the same for most of what you wrote and was seeking confirmation to be more certain of it all. I do virtually all of my shopping here at Freddy's already and I believe they do bush orders so I will need to double check on that this week. My situation is interesting since I am only student teaching out there one year, but I do plan to have my own classroom in a village after I graduate from the program. I believe that I will need to do the storage this upcoming year and the next at a minimum since I have heard many say that moving everything out the first year is not always advisable, so give it a year and then fully move after my year of student teaching and the first year of actual teaching wherever I end up.

As for the truck I do not know for the cost yet, I'm dreading to pay storage fees. The truck is paid for, but I do not foresee moving back to the road system which would make the cost of storage all year beyond what I would probably pay in a vehicle rental. I know people both here in Fairbanks, and in the Anchorage area so if I had an extended stay there might not be a need for renting something for an entire trip. I hear U-haul rents little pick up trucks for a good rate that is lower than what it is for most car rentals. In writing that query I was more wondering if others did it often for keeping a vehicle. I'm at that point where financially I'm not sure that I could afford to store the truck over the year just to use it for a short period the following.

I appreciate all the insight!
Michael Robbins

Postby Michael Robbins » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:31 pm

Hi Betty. I actually grew up in Washington and have bounced around between there, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, and of course Alaska for work. I was given permission to attend the new teacher orientation and cultural camp after I arrive, so I'm sure that we will meet there if not prior. I look forward to meeting you as well.

Michael
Michael Robbins

Postby Bushteachers » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:36 am

Michael Robbins wrote:Thank you Bushteachers,

I thought the same for most of what you wrote and was seeking confirmation to be more certain of it all. I do virtually all of my shopping here at Freddy's already and I believe they do bush orders so I will need to double check on that this week. My situation is interesting since I am only student teaching out there one year, but I do plan to have my own classroom in a village after I graduate from the program. I believe that I will need to do the storage this upcoming year and the next at a minimum since I have heard many say that moving everything out the first year is not always advisable, so give it a year and then fully move after my year of student teaching and the first year of actual teaching wherever I end up.

As for the truck I do not know for the cost yet, I'm dreading to pay storage fees. The truck is paid for, but I do not foresee moving back to the road system which would make the cost of storage all year beyond what I would probably pay in a vehicle rental. I know people both here in Fairbanks, and in the Anchorage area so if I had an extended stay there might not be a need for renting something for an entire trip. I hear U-haul rents little pick up trucks for a good rate that is lower than what it is for most car rentals. In writing that query I was more wondering if others did it often for keeping a vehicle. I'm at that point where financially I'm not sure that I could afford to store the truck over the year just to use it for a short period the following.

I appreciate all the insight!

What are your summer plans? Don't say you will stay in the village year round, because statistically and realistically that won't happen. Of course we spend most of our summers in the village and each year we spent more time than the previous year. This year we are not leaving at all.

Anyways, if you are going to spend an extended time on the road, keep the truck. If you have friend's place that you can store for a minimal charge that is what I would do.
Bushteachers

Postby Johncn » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:27 pm

Michael,

First of all, student teaching in a village - especially a year long placement - is a great thing. Year-long ST experiences are something I have always advocated for, as the difference in the quality of the candidates we interview with those under their belt is frequently head and shoulders above other new teachers. You will also like Stebbins. Good staff there. Decent housing, and close enough to regional hubs to give staff who work with extra curricular activities lots of opportunities to see other villages. Dirt road / winter trail connects it to St. Michael, which gives you more social outlets...two large schools and their staff for collaboration and weekend get togethers.

I would do a mix of those things. Shipping fresh stuff from Fred Myers or anyone else to Stebbins will be best out of Anchorage via Unalakleet, though, not out of Fairbanks.

2) What are people's thoughts on what to put into storage and what to sell? ....7) I have a newer diesel truck that I plan to sell prior to moving out.

Store your truck in Anchorage, and keep your chest freezer and other key items in the storage unit? I always recommend people travel minimally first year, and ST certainly counts. Also, having a truck in town will be something you will benefit from in my opinion.

It's going to depend on your principal's expectations. BSSD does not have a districtwide teacher dress code, but most teachers wear slacks (chinos, nice jeans) and dress shirts with collars. Some principals require males to wear ties, but that varies from site-to-site and year-to-year. Like Bushteachers says, you don't need different pants every single day, as long as you keep things clean. Might want one tie (unless your site requires those daily) for special events...Christmas program, graduation, funerals and weddings at the school...and a sports coat if that is something you have already and is your sort of thing.You will want indoor shoes of some sort to keep in your classroom. You'll have outdoor boots you wear to and from work, but I always kept Clark's or Birkenstock type things for wearing within the school. Don't over do it on winter stuff, but since you live in Fairbanks, you won't need to buy anything. If you go out at Christmas you can send your more serious winter gear out.

I would recommend a rolling cooler like the Igloo cube. Weighs about 9 pounds, but keeps cold and protects produce from freezing in the winter. Your mileage may vary.

Buy your tickets. They won't get any cheaper during salmon season into UNK. I would recommend you fly Ravn out of Anchorage. You can accumulate points for trips to Town that way, and they will wait for your ANC => UNK flight to arrive before they shuttle the WBB (Stebbins) passengers. It may be possible to go through Nome, but I don't recommend that routing.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby Michael Robbins » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:23 pm

Thank you John,

I will definitely take all that has been said into consideration when I plan and carry out things this summer. The cabin is currently a disaster area right now as I am preparing to send out my first totes and also getting ready for a garage sale to thin out unneeded items.

One of the reasons why I chose UAF was for that very reason since they do a year-long ST placement. I pushed to get a village placement early on since I plan to teach in one. To my understanding this does not occur too frequently unless the student is from that village, generally housing is the big concern they tell me. My first location that I was possibly going to be placed fell through due to housing issues, but I am excited to be going where I am now.

Michael
Michael Robbins

Return to ATP Forum