Is it too late to get hired to teach in Alaska for this year

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Is it too late to get hired to teach in Alaska for this year

Postby class_y_lassie » Sat May 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi! I am coming from the lower 48. Been teaching 9 years in different states as my husband is military. He is retiring and we are going to move to Alaska. I have applied for all the Social Studies and English jobs I believe I fit. We are very flexible about location. We want to be in a place where people are kind and they need a teacher who cares. I grew up on a farm and we have lived in very rural areas with limited resources. I have spent 8 years working with low income rural schools so very interested in the Bush schools, but open to road system schools as well. Just wondering if applying the end of May 2016 is too late to get a teaching job for the 2016-2017 school year? If it is when do I begin to apply for the next year? Thanks for all your help!
class_y_lassie

Re: Is it too late to get hired to teach in Alaska for this

Postby Johncn » Sat May 28, 2016 4:41 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the ATP Forum!

The short answer is no, it is not too late to get hired for this school year with dual certification in English and social studies. The market for English jobs, especially this late, is better than for Social Studies. However, I would encourage you to also look at Generalist positions with your interest in rural locations.

You have completed your Applitrack profile, right? Don't forget that filling that out is just the first step. Now you need to seek out contacts with the districts you are most interested in... Email and resume and Co er letter electronically, phone calls, etc....time is of the essence. You need to reach someone and let them know you are interested and that your ATP file is available.

You should, since it is June momentarily, file now for Alaska certification. Don't wait if you are looking for a job now, get it done. If I were a betting man, I would say that with ATP file complete, ELA / SS combo certification in hand, 9 years positive and verifiable experience with low SES kids, and rural flexibility, that you are likely to find something between now and school starting.

Hope this helps,

John
Johncn

Postby class_y_lassie » Sat May 28, 2016 5:01 pm

HI John,
Thanks for your reply! I have completed the ATP application and selected all jobs in English and Social Studies we thought appropriate. I am very interested in rural options. I have made a list of Superintendent and Principal phone numbers and email contacts. Intend to begin contacting this week. I have already began the application process for certification in Alaska. It is good to know I have an opportunity to find a position still. Thank you so much for your reply!
class_y_lassie

Postby Johncn » Sat May 28, 2016 6:20 pm

Well, as I said, don't overlook Generalist positions...or even odd sounding positions. Alaska has some unusual settings and job descriptions. Districts in rural Alaska especially need teachers who can teach multiple high school subjects. They are often flexible about what certifications those teachers have... Even if posted a certain way, they can be open to suggestions. ;-)

There are only five Social Studies jobs in ATP (rural) listing as on today. One - Russian Mission - was posted in the last week or so. There are six Secondary Generalist jobs listed. One of those posted a couple weeks ago on Atka. Quinhagak shows an ELA/SS combo. There are numerous MS Generalist jobs if your certificate is 7-12... Including several with ELA/SS desired.

I would continue trying to reach district administrators (not just principals and superintendents) and district HR staff firmly but politely and keep positive. It is VERY hard at this time of year. Principals are traveling, with nearly all being on vacation, and nobody is the office in many cases. They are checking remotely. If there is an HR contact, use that one. Keep at it. You will probably find something if you move forward with certification so you are a viable summer solution for a district. Chenega Bay has a 7-12 Generalist job that was just posted the other day. Things are fluid this time of year. Keep checking listings daily, and keep positive vibes going with your contacts with district. Be patient and persistent. ;-)

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby class_y_lassie » Sun May 29, 2016 2:34 am

I really appreciate your advice. I had no idea the postings would be listed so many different ways. I have selected jobs desired as Social Studies and English. Then for the vacancy desired I selected high school and middle school positions as I am 5-12 certified in my current state. I then completed the application and submitted. I understand that applicants should do a manual search for job openings and resubmit the application each time to that district. I hope I understand that right, but did it that way as I would rather be safe than sorry. I will keep checking daily as that is a great tip, and thanks for letting me know all the different personnel to try and contact. I was not aware of the various people you are allowed to contact there so thank you for the information! You have been a huge help!
class_y_lassie

Return to ATP Forum